When deleting photos from Photo App, it doesn't free up storage space

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rsiu, Oct 4, 2015.

1. rsiu macrumors newbie

We currently have about 290 GB of photos and short videos in our photo library. But when we went to delete over 8000 photos and videos from the Photo App, it did NOT seem to free up our storage space on our Macbook Pro laptop. We did go to the "Show Recently Deleted" window (under the File tab), and permanently deleted those 8000 pics and videos, but our available storage space only increased very minimally (like about 2gb).

It seems that the Photos App doesn't completely delete everything, and it might be still hidden somewhere (for possible recovery) which might explain the lack of available storage space?? Does anyone have suggestions of how to reclaim our storage space....???

Macbook Pro mid-2012 (15")

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you happen to have Time Machine turned on? If you do, deleted files get stores in a local snapshots area. You can read about it here.

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

4. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I'm trying to figure this out too. My wife's Macbook Air is running out of storage. I've spent the morning deleting close to 10,000 pictures. After all that somehow the Pictures file is actually bigger by a few GBs than when I started. I've deleted from iPhoto and Photos and cleared out the trash files from both. It's like there are tons of pictures stored somewhere that I can't find.