When did Apple Fall Behind This Badly?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by eljanitor, Apr 29, 2011.

1. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Apple has always been the one you think of when people would think multimedia,music, graphics, etc........ The PC Windows folks seem to have tried to corner the market on Video games and the like, and so far there doing a good job with that.

Recently someone showed me this new holographic technology being used for something called: Vocaloid. After looking at this stuff I'm thinking thats pretty cool, but why is it only PC based?

It all started as a music program, and as far as I understand it, it's become this sensation in Japan using virtual holographic performers, with voices borrowed from sound samples from real actresses and actors.

So no Bluray anytime soon, all Mac computers now have Intel chips, and chipsets. However you cant get any of this software for a Mac? There aren't using them that I know of either for these shows as well. What does this say about how cutting edge Apple still is?

2. unkn0wnsoldier macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

Apple is a bit more restrictive than the PC sellers, but in fairness, you could always install windows using boot camp and play your blu-ray from an external drive or run your windows software.

But I do see your point of Apple not being on the bleeding edge of technological developments. And also in comparison, Apple is only one company. They support their own hardware and operating system, along with software. There are several PC manufacturers and they all have tried different gimmicks to move units. The HP touchscreen PCs and that Sony handheld come to mind.

3. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

lol Apple isn't really interested in catering to people like you, they're interested in catering to people that are interested in using their computer as a quick look-up appliance to show everyone pictures of their kid making a mess on facebook and where the nearest hooker bar... errr.. pick up spot.. err.. fine dining experience in Seattle is.

Yea.. something like that, and computers are dead. Long live the iPad!

4. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Apple are rarely the true innovators, what they excel at is taking something niche, polishing the hell out of it and making it mainstream.
    And they`re good at it too.

Choice and customisation not so much...

5. Cakester macrumors regular

Good artists copy, great artists steal.

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'll never understand the angst. Apple is a company that is in business to make a profit for their shareholders. You are not getting payed by Apple to use their products so you should buy the product from the manufacturer that best meets your requirements. If you don't like Apple products, get something else.

7. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Wonder if he ever regrets saying that?

8. puma1552 macrumors 601

Why do the shareholders always think Apple actually cares about them? Apple doesn't give a damn about the shareholders, they give a damn about the $65B they have in the bank.

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

One reason why the stock price is so high. Are you a shareholder ?

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

First off that tech is just a special glass plane with a projected image. I believe The Gorillaz did the same thing. It's not holographic as in a 3D projected image.

But I do agree with your other points. I'd love bluray in my mac. I'd love to make 20-50gb backups without having to buy a 64gb flash drive (expensive) or a HDD with moving parts. And of course to be able to watch my blurays on my computer.
    But as if Apple would want that to happen. They want you to pay more for horribly compressed HD media through their store. They want you to pay for extra storage for online backups.

11. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I do agree that Apple falls behind on some things, but you do realize the example your giving is total bs right? That's not Microsoft or PC or Apple that's the developers. You want a Mac to do something like that, ask why the developers only develop on a PC. "What does this say about how cutting edge Apple still is?" "You can't get any of this software for a Mac?" that's 99% not Apple's fault, and I'm not being a fanboi or anything, I'm being totally objective here, that's more the developers fault for NOT developing with a Mac. The developers picked a pc and that's what they used. I say 99% because some things might need Apple to get involved but really, blaming Apple because a developer decided to use a pc?

12. snberk103 macrumors 603

Apple is run by the people who the shareholders elect. Steve, Tim, etc are there because the shareholders put them there. If Apple started to p*ss off the shareholders enough, the shareholders could elect other people into their spots.

Probably not going to happen. But that's because the shareholders are happy. So yes, Apple does care about it's shareholders. Plus the executive team are all major shareholders themselves....

13. eljanitor, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011

eljanitor thread starter macrumors 6502

eljanitor

I'm not trying to say that Apple has become a horrible product. I still think that they are good for what they do. I think it would be nice if they incorporated some other stuff into their hardware. When it comes to Bluray, it's been called the replacement to DVD's and its obvious why they would call it that. So why isn't apple doing something to put them in their computers?

I think the iPad is pretty cool as well, and I know that that's their new hot product. I didn't really think that it really was so useful until I tried one out, but its no replacement for a laptop in any way either.

The holographic stuff they used at that concert is pretty cool too, and yes I know it was projected on glass ,or something like it. What I was also saying there is that the whole thing that it started from is this synthesizer software. Then it became this mad craze in Japan leading up to those concerts and the like. Even if this particular software is a third party program, there's no desire for the developers to want to use Mac's. Can trends like this be a good thing for Apple?

Apple was who people would think of when they were going to do multimedia and the like. After researching that whole scene Apple really is nowhere to be found. In part that's kind the bummer here too seeing as how the Japanese are technologically advanced in many ways.