When did MBA design change to the wedge shape?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by minifridge1138, Oct 16, 2012.

1. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I know 2008 MBA was tapered all the way around.

Was it the 2009 or the 2010 MBA that went to the current wedge design?

Thanks!!!

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Interesting.

Had thought Apple has not changed the Air since it was introduced.

Had to think about it a bit whether I like the old or the new... and decided I like the change. The old looks thinner, slicker but the truth is, the new is more "friendly" to hold. I feel weird holding an iPad like am afraid am going to cut myself. With the new Air, I notice I hold it by its square edges, never the sharp lip.

Then the old had a grey hinge, new black one-piece hinge more stealthy. Old bezel has two hole next to the camera (for?) new one cleaner.

3. Thaicruze macrumors newbie

They changed it because the 2008 model was an experiment. It sucked. The hinges exploded eventually.

4. tiwizard macrumors regular

Plus, didn't the '08 model have the ports that folded down? It'd be pretty annoying and prone to breaking as well..

5. Thaicruze macrumors newbie

FAIL

[​IMG]

Never buy anything NEW from Apple. That's why the iPhone 5 or any of the new 5gen anything is a NO BUY. Also any MacBook that is followed by "Retina Display" is a NO BUY. Just wait until they get it right.

This is what happens when you become an Apple beta tester

[​IMG]

Happened to me with the iPhone 4. My home button didn't work. Then every single person I knew with an iPhone 4. Same issue. Home buttons not responsive. Now with my 4s I have no issues. I bought the air now because it has been the same design since 2010.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Fold-down ports: SLICK! but I guess in practice, not so practical.

Broken Hinge: YIKES. Am wif u brotha, I NEVER buy anything 1.0. Have no need to be the 1st on the block to own something, and pay premium? what for. Let them work out the kinks first.

7. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

Exactly this.

The first iPhone was like that as well, screen broke down partially, gsm-module died. Saw thousands of people with the same problem, especially that gsm-bug. So frequent it wasn't even possible to get replacement parts anymore.

First Magsafe adapter diassembled itself at the end of the cable, later they made that little rubber piece longer and everything was fine.

First MBP had serious problems with aluminium pitting and stuff.

First MacBook Air had an exploding hinge.

Still, I guess I'll get myself the 13" rMBP lol. People don't learn.

8. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

For some reason the overall shape of my MBA reminds me more of a pillow than a wedge. A pillow with wedge shaped sides, sure!