When Did This Happen?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by eljanitor, Sep 6, 2011.

1. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

I really haven't had too many problems sharing files between Mac's and PC's in the past. Back when Tiger was released, it was extremely easy to file share with 10.4 and Windows XP, and 2000. You could set up a shared folder on a peer to peer cross platform network easily.

So recently I was asked to help someone set up a peer to peer cross platform network using 10.6 Snow Leopard, and Windows 7 Ultimate. I just haven't had the need to do this in a long time, just to learn that it was impossible!

I tried it on other Mac's and PC's in a different environment to come to the same conclusion. You just cant share a folder on a Mac over a peer to peer network so the PC's can access the folder using thees two OS's. The operating systems refuse to cooperate no matter what I try.

You can however share a folder on the Windows 7 PC and all of the Mac's will see it and access it, just not the other way around. The ONLY way I found that I was able to do this was to use 10.7 with windows 7 and then and only then did it work.

Am I doing something wrong, is it a protocol issue? Has anyone had luck doing this using 10.6 and Windows 7?

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca