Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JimBobBennett

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2009
Not sure if 'click' is the right term but...

I'm an experienced developer, C++, C#, 11 years worth. Mainly windows, but some Ansi C++ on UNIX.
Until a few weeks ago I'd never tried Objective-C or Mac development.

When I write Windows apps, I feel totally confident, and can bend the language and tools to my will, creating apps that do what I want and are well crafted, easily extendable and feel polished.

My first iPhone app works well, but the code feels hacky as I'm still very much on a vast learning curve. I guess its a combination of trying so many things to acheive my goals, and feeling unsure about the whole OO methodologies of Objective-C based on my C++/C# background.

So how long did it take you to feel like you've mastered the langauge enough to be a polished coder rather than a hacker?

Svinja

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2008
i was in the same position as you about six months ago, i had pretty much experience in c++ and c# but didnt even heard about objective-c until i got the job. It took me about 3 months to get used to the language and the whole concept, i had a lot of memory leaks in the beginning but that wasn't the biggest problem, SDK had some strange bugs, i lost a lot of time on them. It is not hard, but it takse some time to get used to it.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I would guess somewhere around 2 months for an experienced programmer to start to "click" with Obj-C, and be able to write a complex iPhone app while thinking about the app logic and not the code syntax. However, I found there was still new stuff about the paradigm to learn for many more months.

Learning all the foundation APIs available, and their weaknesses and strengths, is what actually takes a lot more time.

If you can do both scripting and low level coding, I suggest thinking about what it would take to implement a toy version of the Obj-C preprocessor and runtime dispatch (compared to C#). When you at least have a glimpse of what's going on "under the hood", the syntax stops being a mystery.

imho.

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
It took me a few months to learn enough of Objective-C to be competent in it, that was about 2 years ago now. Now its my full time Job :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.