Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yeongil

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
What about you? What was the first phone you got post iphone?
My first ever smartphone was the iPhone 4S (early 2012? - summer 2013). I then got the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (summer 2013 - Nov. 2014) because I wanted the bigger, 1080p screen. Then I moved on to the Google Nexus 5 (Nov. 2014 - present) because I wanted pure Android.

Even though there is now an iPhone with a bigger, 1080p screen, I won't get it, because (1) the iPhone 6+ screen is too big, and (2) I already own an iPad Mini 2 and I don't want to own multiple Apple devices -- variety is the spice of life. :D

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
As someone who had the Apple Watch and returned it don't be fooled it's a typical locked down device which lacks simplicity.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
I switched to Android (Nexus 5) from an iPhone 4s. I would have stayed with Apple but could not justify the cost. In Canada cell phone plans are a rip off nowadays, I had the choice of paying 250$ for an iPhone on contract and having to pay an extra 30$ a month or get a nexus 5 for free and save 30$ a month. I even got a 150$ gift card when I got the free Nexus 5, there is no way I will get another iPhone as long as long as this price disparity exists. It would cost me 1246$ more over 2 years if I wanted an iphone last year.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
The first phone I got after the iPhone 3G was a Samsung Focus running Windows Phone 7 I think. Focus was not a bad phone, but Windows Phone was a little too barebones when it was brand new and I'm pretty sure it didn't even have copy/paste until it got an update several months after I bought the phone.

Moved to a Blackberry Torch, loved it except for the freezing software. Moved on to an iPhone 4S, then an HTC One X, a Blackberry Z10, and finally to a Blackberry Passport. Will probably make my next phone an Android as I doubt Blackberry will still be selling handsets then lol.

I do have an Amazon Fire Phone, but I don't really use it as my daily phone. Just got it so I'd have a nice backup phone.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
am main a iphone user i had the iphone 4 for a vary short time then got the iphone 4S

then swich back and forth after that with the samsung S5 i had a moto X 2013 at one time and i had a moto G 2013/2014

then i went too window phones i had a nokia 830 and 635 for a short time

now am back with iphone i had a 5C for a short time then a iphone 5S and now i have a iphone 6 wish i this got today the iphones are the olny phones i used now not any other phones

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I went from the iPhone 3G which I got in 2008 to a Samsung Infuse 4G in 2011 which I swapped out for a Galaxy S2 Skyrocket a few weeks later.

In 2013 around October I upgraded my Skyrocket to an HTC M7 which I'm currently using.

I'm not able to upgrade my device until December of this year. Not sure if I will stick with Android or go back to the iPhone. I'm not loyal to one brand or platform.

I do really like how HTC has the front facing speakers on the M series but with two kids now I want a phone with a really good camera for focusing and low light pictures. There is the Samsung S6 which has peaked my interest. I still got months to go so there may be something else that grabs my attention too.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I haven't.

Back in January, I bought a Note 4 and then a Note Edge. In February, I bought a 6+.

I will also likely buy the next iPhone.

SchlepNT

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2014
Company I work for paid for a Sprint phone back when iPhone was AT&T only. Dropped my iPhone 3G and got an HTC Evo 4G on Sprint. Actually liked it more than the 3G.

I haven't gone back to iPhone since, but have played around with them through the years. No longer my cup of tea, but great that it's doing so well.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Company I work for paid for a Sprint phone back when iPhone was AT&T only. Dropped my iPhone 3G and got an HTC Evo 4G on Sprint. Actually liked it more than the 3G.

I haven't gone back to iPhone since, but have played around with them through the years. No longer my cup of tea, but great that it's doing so well.

Doing so well may be an understatement.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
The only smartphones I've owned have been iPhones (3GS, 4, 5, 6 Plus) but I was getting VERY tempted to switch.

For a while it was the lack of customizations - themes, etc. But I worried the novelty would wear off within a week or two and I'd be stuck regretting it the next two years.

Then it was by the lack of a bigger screen. This one really started to bother me. IMO Apple dragged their feet on bigger screens at least 2 years longer than they should have. So not only was I missing out on a feature that I desperately wanted but I started to resent the fact that Apple was (again, IMO) ignoring what the market so clearly wanted. If the 6 hadn't had a bigger screen that probably would have been it for me, I probably would have gone to a Note.

Android flagships come out every few months. I know this is petty but in the back of my mind I'd always be wishing I had "the next big thing." With Apple, if I have the current gen phone no one has anything better/newer than I do.

Anyway, now that I have the bigger screen of the 6 Plus there's not really anything tempting me to switch. I'm not even sure what would tempt me to upgrade to the next iPhone or two.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There are things that keep me coming back to the iOS platform, like iMessage, its simplicity and ease of use. I use it on my Mac to quickly text my wife. FaceTime with my kids who currently only have iPod touches.

Its the little things, though I like other platforms better in some respect. I'm kind of thinking what Windows will do with windows 10 on the phone, and I enjoyed the Nexus phone from google.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
My first smartphone was the Blackberry Storm, the phone with the fully clickable screen.

Thereafter I've been using Android until 2012 when I bought the iPhone 5. Now I switch back and forth between the iPhone 5 and Moto X. I don't think I'll ever go back to the iPhone full time. I do like the iPhone for certain apps that just simply perform better. Other than that, it's all Android.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
There are things that keep me coming back to the iOS platform, like iMessage, its simplicity and ease of use. I use it on my Mac to quickly text my wife.

it is a good system and simple. I like that it will automatically revert to sms where needed. with my family, we all have hangouts for the rare instance that I'm on an airplane with wifi and want to reach them. works that way when they want to "facetime" me too...they just use hangouts. desktop wise, I like the fact that both Airdroid or Pushbullet work for notifications and texting. Simple third party install and viola, I'm notified or can send files, links, etc. via text.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
My path to the iPhone was different:

I owned multiple iOS devices like the iPod Touch 4th gen, 4th gen iPad, iPad Mini 1, and iPad Mini 2 throughout the years. I actually got a 5S back in September, but it was on a trial basis to replace my S5 from my carrier, but I ended up returning the 5S. Later, I purchased a 5C in feb of this year. I owned a Blackberry Javelin as my first smartphone, but traded with my dad for his HTC G1 back in 2009, so I ended up with the first ever Android phone.

I went from: G1, HTC MyTouch 4G, LG G2X, HTC Sensation, Galaxy S3, LG Nexus 4, Galaxy Note 2, HTC One M7, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, LG G3, Galaxy Note 4, and then 5C w/ Note 4 until I sold the Note 4 and moved onto the S6 Edge.

So far, S6E and 5C. Thinking about going full Apple to the 6+.

----------

it is a good system and simple. I like that it will automatically revert to sms where needed. with my family, we all have hangouts for the rare instance that I'm on an airplane with wifi and want to reach them. works that way when they want to "facetime" me too...they just use hangouts. desktop wise, I like the fact that both Airdroid or Pushbullet work for notifications and texting. Simple third party install and viola, I'm notified or can send files, links, etc. via text.

But shouldn't those type of features be out of the box? The good thing about Android is you can install apps, but it's not a great idea to do so since some features need to be out of the box. Like lockscreen notifications? iOS has had that for awhile.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
There are things that keep me coming back to the iOS platform, like iMessage, its simplicity and ease of use. I use it on my Mac to quickly text my wife. FaceTime with my kids who currently only have iPod touches.

Its the little things, though I like other platforms better in some respect. I'm kind of thinking what Windows will do with windows 10 on the phone, and I enjoyed the Nexus phone from google.

You can do all that with Hangouts as well. I Facetime and text with my Wife and kids on my Windows laptop or my phone. I tend to only use one phone. Anytime ive had two, i end up selling one of them.

I had a BB Pearl when i had my iPhone and ended up selling it after a few weeks and when i got my first Android (GS1) i kept the iPhone for a year in its box because it was the original iPhone but eventually i ended up selling it since i knew id never use it. Still got $120 for it, lol. It was in prestine condition.

----------

My path to the iPhone was different:

I owned multiple iOS devices like the iPod Touch 4th gen, 4th gen iPad, iPad Mini 1, and iPad Mini 2 throughout the years. I actually got a 5S back in September, but it was on a trial basis to replace my S5 from my carrier, but I ended up returning the 5S. Later, I purchased a 5C in feb of this year. I owned a Blackberry Javelin as my first smartphone, but traded with my dad for his HTC G1 back in 2009, so I ended up with the first ever Android phone.

I went from: G1, HTC MyTouch 4G, LG G2X, HTC Sensation, Galaxy S3, LG Nexus 4, Galaxy Note 2, HTC One M7, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, LG G3, Galaxy Note 4, and then 5C w/ Note 4 until I sold the Note 4 and moved onto the S6 Edge.

So far, S6E and 5C. Thinking about going full Apple to the 6+.

----------

But shouldn't those type of features be out of the box? The good thing about Android is you can install apps, but it's not a great idea to do so since some features need to be out of the box. Like lockscreen notifications? iOS has had that for awhile.

Hangouts IS out of the box. Im a bit confused which one you are talking about there. Android had lockscreen notifications before iOS.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
You can do all that with Hangouts as well. I Facetime and text with my Wife and kids on my Windows laptop or my phone. I tend to only use one phone. Anytime ive had two, i end up selling one of them.

I had a BB Pearl when i had my iPhone and ended up selling it after a few weeks and when i got my first Android (GS1) i kept the iPhone for a year in its box because it was the original iPhone but eventually i ended up selling it since i knew id never use it. Still got $120 for it, lol. It was in prestine condition.

----------

Hangouts IS out of the box. Im a bit confused which one you are talking about there. Android had lockscreen notifications before iOS.

I was referring to Push Bullet. Lockscreen notifications came out with the Lollipop update. You can't even reply from the lockscreen out of the box for Androids.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010

meh.....it is pretty much out of the box. These apps aren't new to Android. Lock screen notifications have been around a while too with a number of apps. Yes, they are now baked into 5.x but they have been available for any stock android phone for a while.

That's the idea with Android, the system is very comprehensive but then you can add pretty much any feature you can think or change any of the stock ones to fit the way you wish to use the phone.

----------

You can't even reply from the lockscreen out of the box for Androids.

doesn't matter if it's in the out of the box. any number of apps can be seamlessly added to do that for those interested in it. I use Popup as it's very comprehensive in how it works and what features those lock screen notifications will show.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.