When did YOU grow up?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by benlee, May 20, 2008.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Warning:

I think I'm starting to realize things about myself...like really realize them. I'm 25 years old and I'm starting to figure out a little (and I stress little) about myself.
    For example, I'm just beginning to realize that I want to help people. I mean I have always wanted to help people, but I'm just starting to truly FEEL it and grasp why I feel that way and why I should do it (even if it is selfish).

I say its selfish because I feel motivated to help people because it will make me feel good about myself. But there is a reason why helping people will make me feel good.

This is just an example of how I feel I'm beginning to understand my existence a little more.

When Did YOU start growing up and slightly grasp who you are?

2. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

3. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

I want to be a toysr'us kid, more fun more toys more games ''o'' boy I want to be a toysr'us kid.:D

I guess when my sons school called. I had to go down to pick him up. He had brought a bullet to school. Not a real one, but one of those key chain ones that you get from novelty shops. Apparently he took off the key chain part, and told every one it was real. But the teacher took it as It's a real bullet, like a live round. They were very pissed that he would lie like that, and try to scare his teacher. About it being real.

He was 8, and in his mind he wasn't lying because it was a real bullet.
    And thats what he meant. he meant that it was not some little toy.

Anyway when I was siting their trying to defend, yet at the same time acknowledge his wrong. For bringing it to school in the first place. It dawned on me that I was truly a grown up

4. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Um, I don't think I have even though I'm 25. I feel the same as I did in high school.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

7. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

NOT EVER!

sorry I had to yell ....
    little bit hard of hearing

and NO, I'M NOT JOKING!

sorry, did it again.

Nah, not me man, no way, no how, at 50 ahem cough cough
    I still ride a 'V-rod' Harley - IN THE WET - sideways, and at the lights I still pull 'pop-ups' and smoke the rear tire until the bitumen melts.

I'm havin' a ball

and I'M NOT GUNNA GROW UP

geez, gotta get a hearin' aid.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

What?!!

You're gonna throw up?!

Well get out of here mate, I don't want to smell it.

9. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Grow up? Grasp who I am??
    No way, no time, to busy on the Mac or ps3 to grow up :)

Life's to short to worry about growing up, just enjoy our time.....now,
    we can worry about growing up............tomorrow maybe ;)

10. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

silly bugger

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The older you get, the more you will realise that it's a work-in-progress.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Still working on that growing up thing....hopefully it will come into full swing soon.

Bless

13. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Tomorrow I turn 30.

So, I have started *finally* tucking in my shirt.

:(

:D

14. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

You appear to making a break form the "Me" generation that spawned you. Congratulations... it's not easy to do because after all, "things" are cool.
    As for me, it was when I was 15. I was riding in the car with my dad and my brother in law, and they were saying we should deny food shipments to starving people merely because of their internal struggles with their government and that the US was pretty much despised by them.
    Even at that young age I decided that this was not the world I wanted to grow up in, but I did because I had no choice.
    But now I do.
    And while I have always been a bit of a populist as far back as I remember, that car ride was the defining moment for me.

15. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

November 3rd, 1993. It was a cold, rainy afternoon. I arose like a phoenix from the depths of my Roger Rabbit bed sheets, Armani-clad and grew a goatee. I was 11...

Seriously now... I don't think anyone ever really 'grows up' - to say someone grows up is just a politically correct way of saying they've become better adept at handling the behavioural mores of their culture. I don't connect this with experience, because experience doesn't prove anything: Some people learn from it, some people don't.

I appreciate having intelligence enough to be interested in always learning new things, and I think it is having a healthy outlook on life and knowledge yet to be discovered that shows you're young at heart. Unfortunteately, so often our bodies age and then limit what we otherwise would be in perfect spirits to accomplish.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Haven't done yet! It'll probably take a big tragedy or something to make me grow up.
    Even harder to grow up when your job is to make games :D

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I guess I'll be the exception here and say that I'm a grown-up. There's no definition of how a grown-up should behave, and as long as I can take care of myself and act responsibly, I consider myself a grown-up.

I don't really understand the fear, or "uncool-ness", of being and acting grown up. I think it's cooler to be a grown-up than act like some hipster who tries to desperately hang on to their youthful ways. As a 27 year old, I'm glad I'm not 20 anymore, and I'm glad that I've grown up since then. I think of my age, experience, and knowledge as an asset, not a liability.

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

19. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I always thought I grew up the day I got married and realised what commitment really was.
    Now 40 years on I think I'm really still a kid at heart .. :)

20. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Growing up/old is a state of mind, I still haven't. I have learned responsibility, but I still act unlike someone of my age :)

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Couldn't have put it better myself. :cool: Of course, in ten years I'll probably be saying the same thing about being 30... :p ;)

Life is like a fine wine, it just keeps getting better with age. :cool:

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'm still realizing things about myself. i know i'm feeble and weak at times, but strong others. its a work in progress, life is. i won't ever 'grow up' but i know i'm not a kid either.

23. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I half grew up when my wife gave birth to our son and at around the same time I got promoted to manager and I suddenly realised I wanted to be the boss and could be too.

When I spend hours on the floor wrestling with my boy I'm sure I'll never grow up ----- but he might.

24. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I agree with whoever said there's no such thing as really "growing up." Just had a birthday and I'm a little less than one year from being a "grown up," but I don't really understand what it means. I understand the importance of school, I'm preparing for college, I'm plenty intelligent. I can be serious when I need, but I still pay (gas + food) to take a bunch of my friends to Red Lobster, yell obscenities and make asses out of ourselves yesterday once in a while :eek: I think you can still do things that make you seem not grown up while really being "grown up." I don't think your actions and grown-upness are always a direct correlation.

25. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'm not sure when I grew up (if I ever did). I still like to play video games and have a collection of Legos at home (although I'm selling some of those of for a tidy profit at the moment, but mostly so I can buy some other kits).

On the other hand I have 2 daughters and while I was in Grad School two years ago often realized that the current college freshmen were in 2nd-3rd grade when I had graduated college and weren't even in kindergarten when I had started my undergrad degree.

I have a wife, family, car payment, mortgage, credit cards and bills that all get paid while we still manage to save money.

I also now understand where parents came up with a lot of reasoning for their rules, punishments and why certain things that I looked back on as being "pointless" were actually important, and have to keep an eye on the content of TV shows and movies moreso than I did in the past.

I don't know that anyone really ever "grows up." Interests change over time, and while some people will stop doing certain things because others might consider it "childish," I've found that to be a poor reason to quit doing something I enjoy (see the Legos and Video games above). Of course other responsibilities have pushed those things into the late evenings after the kids are asleep and chores are done but I still find some time to be a kid every week.