When did you realize that most of the world...

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
lacks common sense?

Personally, it was in 2007 when I had my first job and dealt with hundreds and sometimes thousands of customers on a day per day basis.

It amazes me how stupid people can really be.

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
"When did you realize that you think everyone else lacks common sense but not not obviously, yourself" should be the tread title

nobody ever thinks they are wrong but always everyone else....as evidenced by the VERY nature of this thread

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Everyone has a different idea of what "common sense" means. What you're really saying is "when did you realize the world didn't work the way I think it should?"

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
"When did you realize that you think everyone else lacks common sense but not not obviously, yourself" should be the tread title

nobody ever thinks they are wrong but always everyone else....as evidenced by the VERY nature of this thread
+1

To paint with such a broad brush demonstrates that the OP could use a little more common sense himself.
Everyone has a different idea of what "common sense" means. What you're really saying is "when did you realize the world didn't work the way I think it should?"
I would have to argue that "common sense" does exist, the name of it is just misleading. It should be "good sense" or "rational sense".

To lack common sense is to really lack thinking. Many people just don't think through situations. A reflective mind. Stanovich, a psychologist, argues that many people lack a reflective mind (what we refer to as common sense). The reflective mind refers to the goals of the system, beliefs relevant to these goals, and the selection of actions to try to get to these goals.

In the site linked above, Daniel Willingham has a good example of the difference of mind sets.

A friend of mine recently selected a daycare for her son. She used the algorithmic mind quite effectively: she weighed various factors, e.g., the financial cost, the seeming warmth of the caretakers, whether the facilities were clean and inviting. But her goal in putting these factors together was short-sighted. She heavily weighted the daycare’s proximity to her house. It was obvious to me (and her other friends) that the philosophy of child-rearing at this daycare did not match hers. After several months of complaining about what the caregivers did and said, she started looking for another daycare.

An intelligence test measures the algorithmic mind, that is, how efficiently my friend weighs the factors. But to make effective decisions and adapt to your environment sensibly, you need to do more. You need to see your environment for what it is, you need to set realistic goals, and you need to select actions that move you towards those goals. That is the job of the reflective mind, and these features are not measured by standard intelligence tests. That’s why smart people do dumb things like send their child to a daycare that will not work out, or try to beat the stock market.
What it comes down to is two types of intelligences. What we refer to as "book smarts" and what we refer to as "common sense". Some have both, some have one or the other and some lack the two.

Rockin' Kat

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
Kent, WA
I'd like to think I've been somewhat aware of that at least since I was in junior high. But I'd have to say any illusions to the contrary were quickly stripped away when I finally landed my first(and current) job in June 2003. I've witnessed way too much stupid to believe that "common sense" is at all that common. I don't mind my job so much... I've gotten pretty used to it anyway. I work in retail.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
lacks common sense?

Personally, it was in 2007 when I had my first job and dealt with hundreds and sometimes thousands of customers on a day per day basis.

It amazes me how stupid people can really be.
I worked for BT when I was 17 doing the 150 call line. I learned early the level of stupidity on both sides of the phone line.

Then you get older and work in more upper tier circles and realise that everyone is stupid in many ways, especially people who think they're smart - they're often lacking in many ways and try to cover up their insecurities by being outwardly clever.

This is life - just enjoy it and try not be insecure (elitist). :)

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
When I was 16 and got a job working in retail. I'm glad I've left that long behind now; it would be soul destroying for anyone with at least moderate intelligence to work retail long term.