Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yearofthe

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Earth
Just out of curiosity.

I've had my 2 since Christmas 2011, still in amazing condition. I haven't been wanting to upgrade, but I think I will once the next Air is out. Anybody out there with a iPad 1 or 2 or 3 who still hasn't updated yet or recently?

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Just out of curiosity.

I've had my 2 since Christmas 2011, still in amazing condition. I haven't been wanting to upgrade, but I think I will once the next Air is out. Anybody out there with a iPad 1 or 2 or 3 who still hasn't updated yet or recently?

Still have mine, mainly used as a kitchen TV now. My wife and I got iPad 4s on release al,ost 2 years ago.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Didn't upgrade.

My iPad 2 still works perfectly fine and does everything I want/need to do without any issues. Still on iOS 7 and making sure that when I charge it overnight, I turn on airplane mode so that iOS 8.0.2 isn't automatically downloaded as I neither want nor need that iOS upgrade.

That said, I am interested in what Apple will be introducing in the iPad line next month.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I am typing this on my iPad 3, still running iOS 5 from 2012. Does everything I want to do, all the apps that I have still work - especially since Apple now allows users to download the last version of the app designed for an older iOS. I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon - maybe 2016 once the battery kicks the bucket.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Just out of curiosity.

I've had the 3rd generation since it first came out. It was an upgrade from the first generation.

Really, the only issues with it is the home button is less responsive. Cleaning it may fix it. And having to carry 2 types of Apple cables.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Luckily my company has set me up with every generation of iPad. Having that sort of hindsight and if I was to spend my own money, I would upgrade from an iPad2 to an iPad Air. Guessing that an iPad Air 2 might be coming next month, I would wait a bit more to upgrade.

iOS8 works well on iPad2's and up. I would recommend upgrading your iOS.

Last thing is that every iPad I've had was either the 32GB or 64GB version. I keeps several movies and tons of books on it, not to mention apps and 16GB just would seem too restrictive.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Upgraded from iPad 2 to iPad 3 when the 3 was first released. I had originally been planning on waiting for retina before buying but I pulled the trigger early on the iPad 2. Alas, there have been some must have features on newer iPads (4: 128GB, Air: universal LTE) so I've managed to buy every iteration of the 9.7" iPad since. :eek:

liquorice

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2012
Surrey
Still on ipad 2 bought in 2011, just waiting for the new ipad air, the ipad is very sluggish now at some things and needs a lot of reboots.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
My iPad 2 works just fine for all my needs. Was just playing Asphalt 8 on it. I use it for everything. Upgraded to 8.02, no issues at all. I might look at the next generation, but there's not much else I need that my 2 doesn't do.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Just out of curiosity.

Ditto for me, still IPad2 and its been a great product but tired now and time for a new one.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
I'm on my 3rd iPad but the first 2 are alive and well and in regular use. When I bought the iPad 2 I didn't realize how much I would love it and I bought a 16gb model. The day the iPad 3 came out i bought a 64gb model and gave my son the iPad 2. He lives on the other side of the planet sans computer so with an iPad we could Skype. He found so many uses he needed more space also so I gave the iPad 2 to his gf/my sort of dil and gave him the iPad 3 and bought an iPad Air. They're all still working and we're all still happy. i'm not sure why some people think they're fragile because they clearly have staying power.

The problem now is that no matter how terrific the next iPad sounds with all 3 iPads functioning i have no excuse for upgrading.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I have owned every ipad.

Ipad 1: launch day, sold Dec 2010
Ipad 2: launch day, sold April 2013
iPad 3: launch day, still own
iPad 4: launch day, sold Nov 2013
iPad Air: only iPad i didn't buy launch day, got it Black Friday Nov 2013. Still own.

So currently own 2 iPad Air wifi 64gb and one iPad 3 64gb lte.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
I had the ipad 2 when it launched but quickly upgraded to the 3 because of the retina high res display (Retina was a huge deal on the iPads). Now currently have the iPad 4, solid tablet.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Went from the iPad 2 to the retina mini. That was the first iPad that I thought was worth to upgrade to, especially since after a while I found the normal iPad to be a bit big for my uses and I wasn't crazy enough to "upgrade" to the same internals of the original mini.

But I did give the iPad 2 to my father who is still incredibly happy using it.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Upgraded from my iPad 2 when the iPad Air was released. Haven't looked back yet.

Me three. I gave the 2 to my youngest daughter and she still uses it daily. I suspect I'll be hanging onto my current Air for a while too. I'm just not the type to upgrade often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.