When do I buy a new macbook pro? Pleas help.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by canadagrad, Nov 10, 2007.

  1. canadagrad macrumors newbie

    Nov 10, 2007
    :confused:Hello all,

    I thought this would be the best place to ask this question:
    When do I buy a macbook pro? I saw that its coming to end of a cycle but does anyone have ideas as to when the new one will be announced/for sale, and what the main new components will be?

    I've been a PC Microsoft user forever and I cant stand it any more!!
    There are always far too many errors occuring in just about everything I try to do. Im a grad student in Canada and I waited for Leopard to be released (omg it looks amazing. Ive been useing XP for years!!).
    I thought about trying to enter the world of Lynux via Ubuntu but Im not convinced. Also, Im not exactally the monst computer savvy, though Im trying to learn, especially about Mac. No time to learn coputer code!

    Anyhow, as a poor student a Mac is quite expensive but it looks well worth the money and will last me (especially when I go over seas for research next year).

    Anyhow, sorry this is drawn out but I wanted to get the context down.

    So, I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction about this: are the updates to the Macbook Pro going to be a significant improvement that warrants me waiting a month or two?
    Any thoughts as to what these updates will be?

    Thanks again!
  2. MacOSXuser macrumors regular

    Nov 1, 2007
    I want to know too..

    The expected upgrade will be penryn processor
  3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

    Scarlet Fever

    Jul 22, 2005
    According to the Buyer's Guide, the MBP is approaching the end of its cycle, meaning it will be updated within the next few months.

    I reckon it's next update will be at MWSF in January, but don't take my word for it.
  4. duddled macrumors newbie

    Nov 11, 2007
    Definitely wait.
    It will be well worth it.

    New 45nm processes, will be more powerful and use loads less battery, they will also be cooler.

    On top of that there is most likely to soon be a revision of the power adapter which has had problems.

    I personally believe there will be a graphics upgrade to 512MB vram, but that is speculation.

    In any case, even with the die shrink it will be an all round more powerful and cooler computer.

    I am waiting too, and belive me it is killing me.
    The updates are expected in January, probably mid to late.
  5. creative78 macrumors regular


    Nov 8, 2007
    I have been in a similar position for the last couple of months, wait or buy now. This weekend I purchased my Macbook Pro and I could not be happier.

    All the updates are speculation, nobody really knows what is coming in January and I really needed a new computer, my old PC was driving me crazy.

    Like people have said in many other threads, if you need it now, buy it. If you don't need it now, wait and see what comes in January.
  6. avincent52 macrumors regular

    Nov 6, 2007
    I bought one last week, but I really need one now. By late January I'll have three-quarters of a book written on it.
    While most folks around here don't see it that way, I look upon Leopard as a functional upgrade to the machine and so I waited that one out.
    That said, if you can wait, you'll be able to find current generation machines quite a bit cheaper early next year.
    But if you're waiting for the perfect time to buy a new machine, you'll wait forever because there's always a new update around the corner.
  7. Kaioken! macrumors newbie

    Nov 7, 2007
    March 2008 will be when Penryn stars showing up in laptops. So thats the earliest possible date you'll be getting your Mac Book Pro with a 45nm processor. And this is also assuming - that MBP's will be upgraded in March also.

    Fair while away, but man it will be a worth while wait if your patient. I need mine for Uni, so i decided it wasn't an option. I also highly doubt there will be any upgrades between then and now, as Apple recently did that minor upgrade to 2.6ghz processors and such.

    So now would be the time to buy if your needing it in the near future. Or, wait 4-5 months if you will, pretty long time.
  8. duddled macrumors newbie

    Nov 11, 2007
    Look at the Intel road map. The 45nm processes are being release.
    It is not like apple wouldn't implement the 45nm processes as soon as they can either. They are cheaper, faster and smaller.

    They WILL be in the next revision of the Macbook Pro which is indicated as soon.

    If they didn't the macbook and macbook pro would have the same processor, while better ones are out.
  9. mattwe macrumors member

    Nov 9, 2007
    I'm in the same exact situation and am waiting. I made the shift from Windows to Ubuntu, and am computer savvy, but my wife just got a Macbook and I am ready to make the jump to the MBP.

    I am going to wait because I don't need the computer (we have a cheap backup laptop that I am using for word processing and the net) and am going to use the ADC Student discount, which I only have 1 of, so I want to use it to its full potential.

    The decision is different for everyone, you have to figure out if its worth it for you to wait.
  10. Kaioken! macrumors newbie

    Nov 7, 2007
    Duddled: They're not releasing the entire line of processors on one day. The highest range QX series comes out first, November 12th. Followed by the 2nd best QX a month later, then every month later a lower - cheaper model comes out. Releasing the entire line would be financially stupid. By releasing the most expensive ones first the impatient people buy them for ridiculous prices.

    As i said, the laptop processors arent expected until March...
    Apple probably will incorporate them very quickly like duddled said, hes right there.
  11. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

    Oct 17, 2004
    Yeah the newer processors aren't expected for a while. March is ~ 4.5 months away. Considering that the average update cycle for the macbook pro is ~ 6 months, and its still a month away from completing that, I think we probably won't see anything more than a last minute price drop before penryn.

    There's nothing really new on the table before then. IMO its a bit pointless to wait if you need it now, because it'll probably be a while till the next update.
  12. Creibold macrumors regular


    Feb 27, 2006

    Jaunuary 14th, 2008

    Steve Jobs Keynote at Macworld 08'

    New product introductions

    Look for this event: new models shall come.

    ~So Sayeth The Wise Alando.

    [(Shipping subject to change)]
  13. canadagrad thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 10, 2007
    All good points--thanks.
    Though Id be more greatful for definate answers :rolleyes:
    Ugh! Waiting is killing me!!

    And yeah, I'll be waiting to hear from Jobs come Jan. 14--hope its worth my while. Ill try to be patient until then.

    Mattwe: How's Ubuntu working out? I might get rid of microsoft on my PC and download it to play with.

    Otherwise, all in all, thanks for the info :)
  14. duddled macrumors newbie

    Nov 11, 2007
    Ubuntu is a fast stable and very beautiful operating system.
    I would not recommend ditching Windows entirely until you have tried it.

    Which is really easy because you can get and use what you call a Live CD session. This boots the entire operating system pre installed apps and all off a CD without touching you HDD

    Ubuntu CD that you download off the site doubles as an Install/Live CD and you can install it whilst in the OS.

    Internet, networking and word processing is a breeze in Ubuntu and it has superior integrated driver support
  15. mattwe macrumors member

    Nov 9, 2007
    I will agree with all that duddled has said, but will add that a live eval of Ubuntu really doesn't do it justice. There is beautiful eye candy to be had and it runs pretty slow in the eval. Since Feisty, though, setting up a dual boot has been a breeze (that is what I did - I still needed Windows for some school stuff). Try the Live Boot, make sure your internet works (you will want to download updates and stuff) and then install on a second partition - they make it painless and the OS is pretty solid (although you have to be willing to do some command line stuff in the terminal on occasion). Some of the programs are not overly stable (they will just shut down, though) and some things are MUCH more difficult on Ubuntu than Windows/OSX (OTOH, some things are much easier).

    Well worth giving it a shot, and there are instructions all over the web for making it look like/behave like OSX, so it is a nice transition.
  16. powerchord macrumors member

    Oct 4, 2007
    right where I am
    I'm trying to convince myself one way or another to get a MBP (either now or later, but definitely by January). Your logic is calming my nerves about taking the plunge and buying now (I am a total noob to Apple):eek:.

    However, regarding the possible price drop: does anyone know how much the price will go down for a MBP and when would it happen?

  17. canadagrad thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 10, 2007
    Thanks for the Ubuntu info. Ill try that out on my pc when I get a mac and get all the important stuff transfered over to it. (Made up my mind, definately waiting for upgrades).


Share This Page