When do I buy my 17" uMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eswank, Nov 2, 2009.

  1. eswank macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2006
    Location:
    NorCal
    #1
    So I know for sure I'm gonna be getting a 17" uMBP but I trying to figure out when. I'm in the Air Force and can get a good deal on uMBP after discounts and gift cards at our base exchange. After all is said and done I can pick one up for roughly $1850. I'm getting into photography a whole lot so that'll be my main use for the uMBP. A lot of photo editing. And I want the size for when I deploy again. But do I get it now or should I wait for the supposed "update" in the next few months? Majority of the things I've read in the forums deal with a new processor and the whole blu-ray fiasco. I could care less for blu-ray on a portable. Would the wait be worth it?
     
  2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

    thegoldenmackid

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location:
    dallas, texas
    #2
    The wait is worth it. Blu-Ray is not so likely, Arrandale is.
     
  3. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

    #3
    It depends on how long you will wait until you next deploy. Right now the MBP is still a great machine and although updates appear to be on the horizon no one can tell, the 'rumours' are essentially only educated guesses. That being said based on our educated guesses the next MBP looks to be an even better machine (with Arrandale) and if you could wait a couple of months the wait will probably be worth it and even if it doesn't come out then you then current MBP will be even cheaper!

    King Mook Mook
     
  4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Location:
    Manhattan
    #4
    Yes, the wait is worth it this time--and it sounds like you're in a position to wait. The next chip upgrade will be more significant than usual and will greatly enhance the value of your purchase. Any other upgrade Apple provides will be gravy, but the chip is a given.

    I guarantee you that when Apple updates the MBP, you'll see many threads of people trying to return computers purchased just prior to this update but are unable too.
     
  5. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2009
    #5
    Its a good machine now that won't start to suck just because something newer comes along.

    The forums have been saying this for years, and the mantra is this "If you need it now, buy it"

    The update will be in Feb (unless arrandale is delayed, thats the only thing that would hold it back). Trends show MBP updates every 8 months.

    Edit: Oh and blu-ray isn't coming. 100% no way in hell.
     
  6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Location:
    Manhattan
    #6
    You've confused wants with needs. Since he's asking if he should get it now I'm assuming he doesn't really need it at the moment and can possibly wait--which he should definitely do IMO.

    A well timed purchase is within a month or two of an update. This maximizes the useful life of your purchase. If he bought a MBP today it would not "immediately suck" once the new one comes out. However, 3 or 4 years out he'll still have a workable machine if he waits on this one.
     
  7. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

    palmerc2

    Joined:
    Feb 29, 2008
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #7
    ahhhh the trails and tribulations of buying an Apple computer :rolleyes:

    no one knows when they will be updated, only a handful of rumors can suggest when an update will happen - which they are usually spot on :)

    I am in the same boat as you are though....buy now? or wait?

    I say, do both! only a small percentage of computer users are aware of websites like this. So not every soccer mom, executive, teen bopper and dad knows about an update. I've seen the Apple store flooded with customers buying computers 1 day before an update - the recent iMac is a perfect example.

    With that being said, you can buy it now, use it and ENJOY it, then when the rumors start to heat up, start to list it on eBay. Worst comes to worst you might be out by $200 for depreciation value. But with knowing about rumors, you will get the highest return rate for it, because a refresh diminishes the value of previous generations....because again, not everyone knows about rumors. These users will go on eBay and think "Golly! An almost new MBP for $200 less then store shelf price, and no tax!" - not knowing there will be an update next week.

    I am not a huge techie and don't keep up with the times, but after reading a few threads, this is going to be a huge update.

    Right now I have a 24" Alu iMac, I really need a laptop because I am back in university and traveling a lot to friends / relatives + work. I am going to sell iMac now, buy a MBP, then next February (expected time of refresh) list MBP on eBay, then get new gen MBP....but hey, thats just me :eek:
     
  8. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2009
    #8
  9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2007
    #9
    Op go to your local AAFES PX or BX, and get a star card. They are offering 20% off your first days purchases for new cardholders. Then go online to aafes.com and look on retailmenot.com for a 10-15 percent off coupon that they usually have floating around which will be stackable because the 20% off is in the form of a statement credit. With the gift cards you may have to place your order over the phone but that's like 35 percent off with an hours worth of leg work!
     
  10. Full of Win macrumors 68030

    Full of Win

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2007
    Location:
    Ask Apple
    #10
    I got one last month for ~1800. I did so knowing full well that quad cores were just around the bend. So why did I get it? Well, I do now use the resources I have now to full capacity as is.

    You said that you were into photography. I do not know about you, but my experience is that the limiting component is IO speed, not CPU speed. Sure, if you are exporting hundreds of RAW>JPEG in batch, its important. But the time to load an image has more to do with your drive speed than the CPU.

    Just a thought, but how about spending the 1800 now, and take 400.00 and get a good sized SCL based (not MCL) SSD. I would think a rig like this is better for photography than a quad core hdd based model.
     
  11. eswank thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2006
    Location:
    NorCal
    #11
    Eddyisgreat... I already have a Star Card so that's 20% won't work for me. I've looked on RetailMeNot and none of their coupons work. I believe I used one on their site before and I guess I can't use it again. But thanks for the heads up.

    As for everyone else, thanks for your input. You guys had some good points that got me thinking. So I'll let you guys know what I decide. Thanks again!
     
  12. JajoPGH macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2008
    #12
    Sounds interesting. I'm having a hard time selling my MBP now at a couple hundred dollars less than I bought it. And, I bought it only last month. I wanted to sell it, get the iMac, then buy another MBP when they get updated.

    I hope your technique works
     
  13. pcconvert macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2008
    #13
    Like he said.

    Remember that most of active contributing whiners here are power users/gamers/3d or just folks whom a tenth of a second is 'huge'. In real life even current specs are more then enough for everything you will need in foreseeable future with one important exception and that is VIDEO editing - for that really wait for 4 cores.

    It will take time for apps developers to catch up with the capabilities of modern architecture of todays computers and optimize apps to effectively use multiple cores and GBs of memory. Once they catch up, in 2 or 3 years... until then....

    17" for $1800 is a steal with this great screen, get it and enjoy it!
     
  14. krimsen macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2005
    #14
    I also got one 2 weeks ago, even a refurbished last-gen. Nehalem is good and all, but I'm happy with the 2.93 C2D, and when I'm not anymore, there will already be a second-gen Nehalem MBP for sale. I would probably update sooner if a fast SSD or more powerful GPUs will be included. eSata or USB3 would also be tempting, but Bluray and Arrandale are toys :p
     
  15. skye12 macrumors 65816

    skye12

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2006
    Location:
    Austin, Tx
    #15
    I know you want it, but at this point I would really wait. The next jump will be to a new plateau of performance imo.
     
  16. eswank thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2006
    Location:
    NorCal
    #16
    I actually wen ahead and bought my 17" uMBP. I ended up getting it for $1750 brand new :D from the base exchange. Can't wait to upgrade the memory and still debating on which hdd to get. But thanks again for everyone's unput.
     
  17. brecskel macrumors newbie

    brecskel

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2009
    Location:
    Tennessee
    #17
    order now might get by this time next year

    HA go ahead and order I placed an order for a
    17" macbook pro with/
    3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    MacBook Pro 17-inch Antiglare Widescreen Display

    on october 7th its nov 6th and just got my 4th delay email delaying it 14 more days awsome!!!
     

Share This Page