when do i cancel my sprint account ? (re: iphone 3gs)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnbee, Jun 18, 2009.

1. johnbee macrumors newbie

I ordered an iphone 3gs which should be arriving on Friday. I ported my sprint cell phone number over to the at&t iphone 3gs.

My question is when do i call sprint to cancel my account. Do i call them(Sprint) before i receive the iphone? after i receive the iphone? or after i activate the iphone ?

2. aljlin macrumors regular

When your phone gets activated (in store or by phone) you will provide your sprint number that you are porting over. Once they port the number over you will receive a message on your iphone that the number has been transferred over. The cancellation of your sprint account WILL be immediate at that point and you should receive a final bill from sprint what your final cost would be. ( last month bill kind of thing.) You do not need to do anything on your part. In fact do NOT cancel your account yourself, ATT will take care of that.

3. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Reminder: You have 30 days to port your number from Sprint, you can get a new number from AT&T first.

Did you order with Apple or AT&T for store pickup or home delivery?

If you orderd through Apple, when you complete the activation steps using iTunes you enter your Sprint number to start the port processing, once your activation step is complete your new iPhone 3G S will be able to make calls but as the previous poster indicated, you can't receive calls until you get the SMS Txt message notification. At this point your Sprint account will be cancelled but you should follow-up with Sprint to confirm that you are billed the final charges and make sure that you pay this bill.

You can do this in the Apple or AT&T Store or even at home using iTunes.

Note: You may need to know your account information and PIN if you have one on your Sprint account.

Dave