When do I have to repay for an app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hierobryan, Jun 26, 2009.

1. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

I bought Beatmaker version 1.3 a few months back. I want to download it, but the current version is 1.3.3 and iTunes wants to charge me $19.99 to download it again. Is this right? I thought I could download it again for free:confused:

When am I allowed to download a previously purchased app for free, and when do I need to pay again? Should I just buy it, then click on the "report a problem" link to get my money back?

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Click it, it'll say you've already bought it, and you'll get it for free as far as i know.

3. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, that doesn't work. I tried that with Field Runners and it charged me again. It said nothing about me previously buying it. The only time iTunes says I previously downloaded an app is if it's free.

4. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

You have to be on the same account, but I've never been charged again for an app. It goes all the way to the end and looks like it's going to charge, and then it doesn't.

5. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

note that if you ever get charged for an app again when you have already purchased it on the same account you can click the report a problem link within itunes and it will have a form to fill out about the problem and they will credit the account for the purchase ( has happened to me before )

6. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

okay, cool...that's good enough for me.

I heard somewhere that you have to repay for an app if it's a major update, like from 1.3 to 1.4, but you don't have to pay again if it's minor like 1.3.3 to 1.3.4. Anyone else heard this?

7. Shawnstra macrumors regular

I was also charged again but by simply reporting the problem through iTunes, I got a refund. Also, it happened a few times and they gave me iTunes Store credit. Just try, no harm done. Also, I think it depends on the developer whether to charge on updates.

8. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

How long did it take to get your refund/credit? I'm still waiting for Apple to refund my Field Runners (re)purchase from 4 days ago.:(

9. Shawnstra macrumors regular

For me it is well within 24 hours. The service is great. I made the mistake of repurchasing the app yet they were very sympathetic. I'm from Singapore so I don't know if it's a different staff though.