When do I put my MBP in the case?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Boesky, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Boesky macrumors 6502

I have the incase protection for my Mac. When I close the lid, it goes into sleep mode. How long should I wait until I put my MBP inside of the case?

2. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

3 days.

Not really, obviously, just throw it in right away...

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Wha huh?

I mean c'mon, it's in the process of going to sleep until the light starts pulsing, but it will do that either way (in the case or out)

If you're concern is with heat, unless you've been working the thing real good, don't worry about it or just let it run idling for a few minutes to let the fans cool things off a bit I guess.

4. Boesky thread starter macrumors 6502

I Asked this being concerned about it overheating

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Well when it's sleeping it won't produce any heat, so whatever is there will dissipate over time.

6. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Well the laptop is going to sleep so its not going to produce anymore heat than there already is.

By default when you put the laptop to sleep it writes whatever is on the RAM to the harddrive too, but its pretty safe (especially with Apple's motion sensors) to move the laptop around, even with out them you would have to really shake up the laptop to do anything. But once the light starts pulsing on the front, the computer is fully asleep

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I never noticed any increases in heat with my Incase cases.

8. puma1552 macrumors 601

Not quite true--true, the laptop won't produce anymore heat, but when it goes to sleep the temperatures will rise a little bit more in the minutes after sleep mode is entered, because the fans are no longer expelling heat from the body as they are when it is on.

Same concept with a car's cooling system--gets hotter after you park the car.

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Whatever you do, make sure that Bluetooth is either off, or "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" is not enabled. There are stories of MacBooks turning themselves on during transit due to Bluetooth. Also be absolutely sure that it is in fact asleep when you put it in the bag; the light should be pulsating when you do so.

However, with everything said above, I personally do not transit my MacBook Pro while in S3 sleep mode. I only transport my computer either powered off, or in S4 sleep mode, which can be done using the "Deep Sleep" widget. In S4 sleep mode the computer is off, and the contents of memory have been written to the disk.

10. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Above poster said it perfectly. Me personally, I don't put my laptop in a case when in sleep mode. I used to with my ibook and it wasn't a problem, but with some people reporting the computer waking in sleep mode, and getting really hot. I just don't want to risk it. I always shut down the computer then put it in my bag.

Plus, I figure if it's shut down, it is more able to handle bumps and such because the HDD is fully parked.