When do I replace my battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lokster, Aug 8, 2014.

1. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

so my macbook pro 2010 battery capacity is at 46% and has 1228 cycles already
    it says replace now, should i buy a new battery?

The battery lasts around 2 hours with light use, and less than two hours with heavy use.

I've read reviews that it can last for as long as 6 hours on a new battery. i have a chance to buy a second hand one with around 100 cycles. is it worth the buy? I'm getting it for around $70

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If the battery isn't lasting as long as it used too and you need it too, then definitely replace it.

3. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Yeah dude, time to replace. Be sure to check out ifixit.com with ebay parts instead of sending it to apple.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can continue to use your battery as long as it holds sufficient charge to meet your needs, and as long as it doesn't display any other problems, such as swelling. I wouldn't recommend buying a used battery. I would spend a bit more and get a new battery, installed by Apple. It's not worth risking your computer to try to save a few dollars on the price of a battery.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

5. lokster thread starter macrumors 6502

lokster

Awesome read!!! :D :cool: bookmarked and saved on my many reading apps.

Apple charges alot for battery replacement, i would be ok to buy a battery from them and replace it myself. a brand new battery costs almost $200 from an Apple Authorized Reseller (no apple stores in my location :()

Second hand batteries float from $70-100, and i know how to install it myself. So i could save some money

6. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Not sure what country you are in but $70 sounds like quite a lot for a used battery. Have you checked out Ebay, Amazon marketplace etc?
    I would be however very surprised if you Macbook would last 6-7 hours, even on a brand-new battery. 3-4 hours are more realistic IMHO.

7. lokster thread starter macrumors 6502

lokster

yeah $70 does sound like alot but the seller mentioned its original, amazon and ebay arent too popular here in the Philippines.

The battery seems fine, doesnt heat up or swelling or anything. My brother mentioned that the only time i should change it is if it will only hold a charge for a few mins, Right now its holding 1-2 hours of charge, and thats fine for me i guess. Im usually near a plug

8. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Not sure if this is an option for you but I got a brand-new (original, I am 99% sure) one from Taobao, I guess they might also ship to the Philippines?

But if there is indeed no swelling and you do not need to run on battery you might as well save the money!

9. lokster thread starter macrumors 6502

lokster

its people like you that make my OCD self mad, hahaha yes to both, no swelling and dont run on battery most of the time. i will try taobao, but is it racist for me to say i dont trust the chinese? hahaha im half chinese myself but when it comes to batteries, powerbanks or anything to do with electricity i really dont trust them haha

Thanks for helping me decide MarvinHC, im gonna hold it off like you and my bro said, i dont need it yet and i can save the money for an original one a little down the ways

10. macmee Suspended

macmee

can you replace batteries in 2014 macbook pros? (thinking towards the future of course).

11. lokster thread starter macrumors 6502

lokster

Yeah i think so, check ifixit.com on how to replace the battery on your macbook :)

12. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

I know what you mean, if you want I can send you a link to the seller on Taobao where I bought my replacement battery - it was for the 15" 2008 unibody. The first one did not work so well and I got the 'replace me' message after 2 months. The seller however replaced it when I sent mine back and the second one has been working without troubles for some 50 charging cycles so far and is still at 100% capacity.