Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
I forget how they used to do it. Is it the same as what the iphone used to be and they'll allow for preorders on the Friday after the announcement?

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
Yeah, if they allow preorders it will be on Friday the 25th at 12 AM Pacific time. If you're on the east coast of the US it will be at 3 AM Eastern time.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Yeah, if they allow preorders it will be on Friday the 25th at 12 AM Pacific time. If you're on the east coast of the US it will be at 3 AM Eastern time.

Gotta love 3am! Did it for my iPhone will be repeating for an iPad!

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

There is no guarantee of that and if the 5S is anything to go by they may just open orders on the day of release rather then offering preorders before hand especially if there is shortage like the rumours regarding the new iPad Mini suggest.

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
There is no guarantee of that and if the 5S is anything to go by they may just open orders on the day of release rather then offering preorders before hand especially if there is shortage like the rumours regarding the new iPad Mini suggest.

Yeah, I know it's not a guarantee, but if Apple does allow preorders it will most likely be 3 days after the announcement.

jhansla85

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
Is this the same for places like Best Buy. I have $200 in BBY gift cards that I wanna use on a new ipad

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Typically they start whenever the heck Apple feels like starting them.

In the past few years we've seen preordering start

1) a few minutes after the special event/keynote ended
2) the friday after the keynote
3) not at all

and as far as time we've seen them start

1) in the middle of the afternoon
2) at 12am Pacific
3) at 8am Eastern

However, we will know when/if preordering for the new iPads will happen tomorrow so don't sweat it.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
It is possible Apple won't allow preorders, at least on the iPad Mini.
The 25th or November 1st would be good candidates for the official launch in the first wave countries.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012

3) not at all

2) at 12am Pacific
3) at 8am Eastern

However, we will know when/if preordering for the new iPads will happen tomorrow so don't sweat it.

What device preordered a few minutes after the keynote ended?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

3) not at all

2) at 12am Pacific
3) at 8am Eastern

I think for the last few iDevice releases, it's been pretty consistently Friday after the keynote at midnight Pacific. Or not at all. The weird times like afternoon and early morning hasn't happened in a while.

But you are right that the details will be announced tomorrow, and we should just follow the keynote to find out.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I forget how they used to do it. Is it the same as what the iphone used to be and they'll allow for preorders on the Friday after the announcement?

Perhaps. Or they might start them right away. Or not do preorders.

Or even, I rather hope, require all orders to be by online order. Do it a bit like how they do in China. You go online, register what you what to get and from what store. Then as stock comes in, random folks get a notice they can complete their order. Behind the scenes there can be monitors looking for clues of resellers trying to game the system and shutting them down.

And yes I am suggesting it start from day one and zero walkins ever. Well not for say the first month. Perhaps by the time we hit Black Friday they could open it up to simply walking in.

----------

Shortages would be a reason to have preorders etc. If it's just day of then most stock will be at the stores which means the resellers jerks will have an easier time of doing their game

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.