When Do The First Reviews Come Out?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by maclook, Mar 12, 2012.

1. maclook macrumors 65816

When do the first reviews come out or even post-keynote previews?

Writers/journalists already have the iPads in their hands, right? As far as I know, everyone that wrote a hands on from the keynote hasn't written anything since or even taken their own photos.

2. unr1 macrumors regular

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

whenever the press embargo lifts. last year, they all went up late wednesday.

4. maclook thread starter macrumors 65816

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I'm guessing Wednesday. Seems to be the general consensus.

6. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Yeah most likely Wednesday, the NDA might not end until Thursday though.

Question: Does anyone know what sites received the iPad early??
    Engadget maybe?

7. maclook thread starter macrumors 65816

I wish they could give different limitations for different journalists. I just hate how one day, 20 different reviews will pop up and I won't want to read them all because it's just overkill. If the reviews were staggered, I wouldn't be overloaded with iPad news all in one day.

Not a realistic wish at all...

8. EnderTW macrumors 6502

great question, I was wondering about this too. So wednesday I guess.

9. maclook thread starter macrumors 65816

Based on keynote hands-on, I would say The Verge, Engadget, Daring Fireball, Loop Insight, Slashgear, Tech Radar, CNET, gdgt ...and Gizmodo (jk)

10. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

It's lame that Giz get left out in the cold just because they did their jobs.

11. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Keynote hands-ons mean nothing. You run into a demo room and get pictures.

But, the likely candidates will be:

The Verge
    Engadget
    Daring Fireball
    Loop Insight
    All Things D

Those will be your major ones. Historically Cnet does not get review units from Apple.

12. maclook thread starter macrumors 65816

That story was epic. Well worth it, I'd say. The writers all left and their new ones are pretty lame. I still frequent and comment there but the writers that made the site awesome are all gone.

----------

Oh, I assumed everyone that's invited is on the VIP list. At least all the big sites that get invited.

13. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

ny times, usa today. find the people who got the personal demo of mountain lion. those are the journalists who are finishing their reviews right now.

14. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's one thing to get invited. It's another to get a review unit.

Ah, yes, missed Pogue and that guy in the USA Today I can never remember.

15. hreyhrey macrumors member

Lets be honest though how many of those reviewers give apple the credit they deserve?

16. maclook thread starter macrumors 65816

Most of those guys understand Apple and they might even be accused of being bias towards them.

John Gruber is my favorite. Last year, he had his developer buddy write up a quick simulation to show how great the iPad 2's GPU was. Very original way to test and review it rather than just saying "the GPU is 45 times better yada yada". He also called out Walt Mossberg for forcing a 500 word paragraph on drawbacks that took up 1/3 of his review. It was a case of trying to not look bias towards Apple but ending up as poorly written review.

17. MR1324 macrumors 6502

i read as many reviews as i can. i know why the ipad is good; what i like reading about are reasons why it isn't good or features people wish it had.

18. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Hah - yeah, like anyone would expect to be treated well after buying known stolen merchandise, not trying to return it to its rightful owner, taking it apart, and then after two whole weeks finally contacting Apple, and using the thing to blackmail Apple ("We'll return it, but only if you admit on the record that this is the next iPhone"). Giz had to know they would never get invited to Apple shindigs ever again after that :)

19. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

All the while giving Apple massive amounts of free publicity... Seems to me like Apple were happy playing the game until they realised somebody had taken the ball from them.

20. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

I can't wait for unboxing videos of the new iPad to get uploaded on Youtube! Watching unboxing videos of products I'll be getting makes me more excited. I am getting my iPad late but for people who are getting theirs on the 16th video tape yourselves unboxing your brand new iPad 3 and upload! :)

21. pensoftware macrumors member

Yes, and now Gizmodo's "job" is to bash Apple at every opportunity. I used to read Gizmodo, but honestly it's gone downhill since their mishap with Apple. Every Apple-related article (even the one about the iPad 3 keynote they weren't invited to) contains some snide remark and immaturity that shouldn't even exist in a professional news site.

22. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Both previous iPads were released on Friday and reviews all came the Wednesday before, so yeah, Wednesday.

23. Radio macrumors 68000

you're buying one regardless - so dont worry about it lol