When do the new iMacs come out?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Yamcha, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Hi guys,

I'm selling my Macbook, and have decided I want an iMac, anyone know when the new iMacs will come in? because I'd like to get the best offer i possibly can. Willing to wait a while, but does anyone know if there is going to be an upgrade? and when?

Or should I just buy one asap..?

2. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't buy one ASAP. Nobody exactly knows when it can come out..perhaps a silent update on the last Tuesday of January, who knows. It could longer than that.

BUT .. I REALLY wouldn't suggest buying one now even if you do have to wait a few months.. This is a lot of money and you should get your money's worth .. which Apple does not provide in the first place.

3. Yamcha thread starter macrumors 68000

Anyone know when the current iMacs were first released? I heard August? just trying to guesstimate when they might release the new ones..

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Untrue. There are dozens of threads here with posts by people claiming to have clue

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Check the buyer's guide. I believe April.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

See buyer's guide at the top of the page

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Fortunately, they're all wrong.

Unless the OP didn't want to know the real date of release, in which case, heck, even I know when they're coming out: Next Tuesday.

8. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Lots of people claim to have a clue, but none of them do except for Apple.

9. Yamcha thread starter macrumors 68000

" According to supply chain sources, Apple is expected to launch a new iMac in the first quarter of 2009. Quanta Computer is said to be gearing up for monthly shipments of 800,000 units for Q1 2009. The new iMac will begin shipping in January of 2009. "

Found that, except I don't know if its true. I guess Im better off waiting since the last release was April 2008, and I've gotta feeling they are gonna add an nvidia graphics card, since they've done that to the new Macbooks/Pro, they also released a new LED Cinema Display..

10. iMacmatician macrumors 601

That counts late January, which some people believe is a likely time for the update.

Since 2004 or earlier, the iMac has gone 11 months or less between updates, and the two 11-month cycles have been just before redesigns. So I would say no later than February. Not April.

Don't forget the quad-core rumor. You could get double the cores at about the same clock speed for the same cost or less.

11. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

I agree with updates around April, since Apple will have their Student specials from June - September and outdated iMac's (like the one's currently in store) would not sell well. Plus, I believe, we get a free iPod touch now!!!

12. Yamcha thread starter macrumors 68000

It would be great if we see lcd upgrade like a 22" from a 20":]

13. ritzuk macrumors member

I really hope not... the 20" screen size is ideal. I find it difficult using a larger screen.

14. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

22" panels are generally junk, but there's a possibility we'll see a 30" model.

15. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

If you mean 22" being TN, the 20" is a TN in the current iMac range.

LG Display do manufacture TN 22" (LM220WE3 as an example) so it's a possibility.

16. Yamcha thread starter macrumors 68000

30" would be nice but, i def can't afford it :p lol, so if we do see a lcd upgrade would be nice to see something over the 20"..

Edit: Just finished watching Macworld 2009, there was no mention of upgrades for the iMac, does that mean no upgrades will happen??? or is there still a chance?

17. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Last year the new iMacs were not mentioned at Mac World either but they still came out I think in February. It was a silent upgrade.

18. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

When? on the 15th day after you bought one. Always.

19. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I bought mine in March of 2008. I think it was a month after they were released.

20. Theophany macrumors 6502

Theophany

I know the exact date the new ones are going to be revealed. I'm just not going to tell you. Ha!

21. aug888 macrumors newbie

I think around Christmas maybe; haven't they just released new Macbooks?

22. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Late April.

23. hexonxonx macrumors 601

You are right. I was thinking they were realeased at the same time as the MacBooks. I bought my iMac knowing there would be a new one coming out in a few months and really didn't care.

24. craig1410 macrumors 6502a

craig1410

Well for what it's worth my guess is sometime in the next 3 weeks. Apple know that there are many people waiting on them releasing the new Mac's and with the current state of the economy any delay is just going to make people more likely to forget the idea altogether!

I've said it before - I think that Apple intended to release the new iMac's back in November, hence the strong rumours at the time but Nvidia's GPU manufacturing problems have created delays. I think that is why Apple unusually came out in November and told us there would be no new iMac's. I read this as rumour control to avoid damaging sales any more than necessary. The rumours are that the Macbook machines are using hand-picked GPU's because manufacturing is not good enough to just use any old chip from the process. Apple probably felt more pressure to get the new Macbook out the door with whatever GPU's Nvidia could supply than to get the new iMac out.

Of course, we'll probably never know but I hope my theory at least sounds plausible to some of you.

In the meantime I will enjoy the fact that my 16 month old iMac still feels and runs as good as the day I bought it!!

Cheers,
    Craig.