When do u think the 5g will come out

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Loldude, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Loldude, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

Loldude macrumors newbie

2. super michael macrumors regular

I believe that the Ipod touch 4th generation is the last Ipod touch, since last year the only thing we got was a colour change not any specs upgrade.

If the Iphone is announced while no ipod touch is announced then that would confirmed the Ipod touch will be like the Ipod classic, since the Ipod touch is way weaker than the Iphone and Ipad.

3. Rockoar macrumors regular

Rockoar

Probably after the summer, respecting Apple's yearly cycle. I think we'll see some updates at the hardware level, specially the camera, as the current one just sucks. It would be nice to see some GPS functionality added but I doubt Apple will include it. A substitution of the 8GB model for a 16GB one like before would also be great but just as improbable as the GPS functionality... Time will tell.

4. Bear macrumors G3

The iPod Touch has a very definite place in the lineup. It will get an upgrade, the question is how much will be it be upgraded to the 4S level? or on par with the next iPhone?

Some people want the iPod for music and some apps. They don't want a smartphone that costs them an extra $360(US) a year for the data plan. There's enough free wifi where I tend to be that I don't need data service.

5. super michael macrumors regular

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the Ipod touch advertised as for gaming? I might be confused so want to be sure. If the Ipod touch isn't powerful enough then it struggle to play APP games.

The Ipod touch new upgrade should rival the Iphone 4 or 4S.

6. Bear macrumors G3

Well I would hope the 4s at a minimum for the retina display.

7. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Probably sooner or later in this century. But before that happens we should invent question marks.

8. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

A smaller, more efficient Qualcomm LTE (and older) chip should allow iCloud and other internet connections even in rural areas. With Mountain Lion, a non-iCloud/Internet ready iPod touch makes no sense (for many people), because that means you can use all iCloud functionality within ML on the desktop, but not on your iPod touch. I know, Apple sells Wi-Fi-only 3rd generation iPads, but we know it makes limited sense with ML on the horizon, if you work in rural areas or in areas without Wi-Fi access.

9. Bear macrumors G3

It feels like you didn't read what I wrote. But then again you probably didn't.

I was pointing out why continuing the iPod Touch made sense. I never said it was the right solution for everyone.

Also, an iPod Touch talking via wifi still gets all the iCloud functionality, so your comment makes even less sense.

As for your iPad comment, the $130(US) could put a crimp in sales. All my arguments as for why the iPod Touch still makes sense applies to the iPad WiFi only model.

10. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

I would assume it will be announced on September/October along with the new iPhone. Since Apple tends to do very tiny updates to iPod touches, I expect its hardware to be on par with the iPhone 4S and not with the next iPhone. If the new iPhone has certain features such as a bigger screen, I expect those to be on the new iPod touch as well. Its internals though, the A5 like the 4S and not the A5X.

And yes, I've been referring to the next iPhone as "the new iPhone". This iPad announcement clearly shows that Apple will drop those suffixes (3G, 3GS, iPad 2, etc) on their product names. It makes sense as well. Macs don't use em, iPod touches don't use em, Apple TV's don't use em, iPods, Airport routers all don't use em, etc.

Also, I think the iPod touch is extremely important to Apple's success. The "halo effect" is very real and very effective. I went from having a second-generation iPod touch to over the years having a fourth generation iPod touch, iPod nano, iPod shuffle, iPad, iPhone and a Mac. And to think I was only looking for an MP3 player that day.

11. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

You assume too much.

And i said that? No!

Is that an argument?

12. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

iPod announcements are usually in September. Last year the iPhone was announced at that event, which went someway to hide how little was done to the iPods compared to previous years.

iPod sales are declining as smart phones cover the music needs of more and more people. I hope the iPod touch continues to be updated as it is a nice bit of kit. We will know more about where it is headed this September.

13. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I believe they might keep it around as an iOS gateway device, driving costs down by keeping the internals one generation behind the iPhone.