when do we get LED backlights in the MacBooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheNorthWaves, Jan 9, 2008.

1. TheNorthWaves macrumors 6502

Waiting to buy a macbook... at least until the LED option, or until they throw a penryn processor in it. Anyone have opinions about when these will happen?

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

june at the earliest, perhaps not until october/november, maybe even 2009

your guess is as good as ours

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

Apple said that they're working to get everything on LED screens by the end of 2008. So either May/June or November. Or possibly (5% chance, maybe) some other random Tuesday.

As to Penryn, probably November.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Next Macbook update is about a 95% chance for May.

Penryn and possibly LED backlighting.

5. CF Fighter macrumors member

What is the likelyhood we could just get LED backlighting at MWSF? I mean its not that major of a hardware change like Penryn CPU or even Montevina Chipsets

6. one1 macrumors 65816

The only problem I have with this is that Apple has a history of pushing things to their limits and the led's will be FAR less forgiving of Apple's "push it to the limit" style. Another thing will be the people modding the software that control the led's voltage supply since they will be backed down and "someone" will want to tweak the backlight control with a program. (you know it'll happen)

Put me down for predictions of failed led's under stock voltage from the factory and apple issuing a software update to turn the books voltage supply down to the screens after about 6 months, while replacing a LOT of backlight. Side prediction: people will not want to update since the screens will be dimmer.

I own an LED company and I already know what is going to happen the way apple drives things to the limit.

7. Ilovemygeek macrumors regular

Hopefully not until they get the White LED. I was not impressed with the MBP LED it was so bad that the Macbook screen was a step up when I bought mine.