When do you anticipate a refresh of new MBP's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Dec 11, 2016.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

i know one just came out but this is Mac RUMORS

Let's speculate.

Late spring/early summer ? This time next year?

2. chabig macrumors 68040

3. creamz macrumors member

creamz

When the next 28W Kaby Lake arrives...latest Early 2017

4. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

So you speculate that they're going to pull an ipad3 on these macs? :p

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

6. Cameron604 Suspended

Completely based on Intel, as stated by others.

The better question is, what will they be putting into the next MacBook Pro? Probably not a lot, just bringing webcam up to snuff.

I'm excited for the 2018 & 2019 models ;). 2020 and 2021 should be even better though.

7. creamz macrumors member

creamz

No, this is going to be even earlier like early spring. When Intel has it out, I don't see the point in Apple delaying theirs lol.

8. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Milking a cash grab on older Intel chips? I think they've done it once or twice

9. creamz macrumors member

creamz

Not too sure about that. But we can always choose not to buy.

10. raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

11. jk76 macrumors member

My bet is that MacBook will be upgraded with Kaby Lake relatively soon, or with Cannonlake mid-2017. MacBook Pro getting upgraded to Kaby Lake seems somewhat unlikely, instead seeing Coffee Lake upgrade on later half of 2017. Intel is pushing 10nm only to low-power devices on the first generation (Cannonlake), and thus next significant silicon process upgrade for MacBook Pros would probably be by my guess second half of 2018, with Icelake.

All in all, performance improvements are insignificant before the 10nm node, on the level of low single digit precentage points. For extreme ultraportables, benefits of Kaby Lake may be sufficient to warrant an upgrade, but even in the case of MacBook, I would rather wait for Cannonlake.

Nobody in the market can do much to this situation. At least for now (past couple years and at least half a year to the future), Moore's law is more or less dead. The upside of this is that existing equipment doesn't really "age" that quickly either. There's practically no downside to Apple using Skylake on MacBook Pros at this point, even if Kaby Lake would be available (which it isn't on mobile quad-core segment). Performance improvements are so small that it really doesn't matter.

12. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I agree moores law is long since dead.

Although -- maybe its still alive and relevant to A-series ARM chips, if not for software holding it back ;)

13. havenyoung macrumors regular

havenyoung

Very in depth analysis!
    After all those issues that we have seen from early adopters, I think what most people currently on the fence (including me who is holding onto a 2012 13") are looking forward to is Apple's own in house optimization on this new generation of MacBook Pro, such as battery life, graphics stability, touch bar integration and production quality control.

14. creamz, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016

creamz macrumors member

creamz

There has been previous launches where the processor wasn't much of an upgrade but they still refreshed their line. They might have an early 2017 and late 2017 model with Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake respectively. We will never know...

15. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I doubt they'll bother with Kabylake the benefits just won't make a lot of difference in the MBP.

I would say it'll be when the relevant canonlake chips are released so whenever Intel gets its **** together.