When do you expect the next gen rMBPs to launch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DFZD, Mar 9, 2015.

1. DFZD macrumors regular

Well the new rMBP has been launched but only with the slightly bumped specs and the new trackpad. But is there any tip or idea about when we can expect Apple to give a full blow update to the Pro line like they did it with Air?

I'd really love to have the following changes to the retina Pro
    1. Edge to Edge keyboard but the new thinner keys.
    2. Thinner
    3. Lighter under 2.5 pounds?
    4. All ports remain intact.
    5. 256gb as standard. (Can't believe Apple thinks Pro users only need 120 gigs of space)

2. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

My bet is announcement in late Q3/early Q4 w/ skylake MBPr w/ new design. Will be released in November in time for christmas rush.

3. DFZD thread starter macrumors regular

Probably but I don't think the Pro line has any real value to be launched around Christmas, plus when was the last time they refreshed the Macbooks in November?
    I really hope they are updated before. The current ones really seem like a compromise now that the new Airs are out.

4. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

All depends when skylake is released from intel. If they don't get released until mid/late summer. Apple might as well wait for September/October to announce it.

5. DFZD thread starter macrumors regular

But Skylake is really no assurance that Apple is tweaking the casing. It really would hurt the retina Air's sales.

6. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

For the MBA, I'm not expecting a change to Skylake as broadwell is more appropriate for that design.

For the MBPr however, I can see them re-desiging the case to include USB-C and no thunderbolt port, new keyboard & the newer touchpad. Wouldn't be surprised if they improve the display and having a thinner boarder around the display.

7. DFZD thread starter macrumors regular

They already updated the trackpad. Really looking forward to the new keyboard now.

8. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

Forgot about that. Thanks.

9. Jayayess1190 macrumors member

Skylake requires larger chassis changes than Broadwell, so there is almost a 100% chance that the Skylake MBP will have tweaks.

10. ygys macrumors member

usb -c only converts to DVI and HDMI for video output so no thunderbolt conversion.

I doubt that apple would have dropped its thunderbolt port, because it would mean that the led cinema and thunderbolt displays would be useless

And since I have 3 of them it would really suck

11. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

They will. For apple, it will be a great reason to sell USB-C accessories.