When do you figure Maya will run on Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by zarusoba, Oct 7, 2009.

1. zarusoba macrumors 6502

I'm running Maya 2009 on Snow Leopard and it works OK apart from shader problems, and not being able to generate playblasts properly with the new QuickTime.

I'm not complaining about these problems, as Autodesk has said that they don't yet support Snow Leopard (neither Maya 2009 nor 2010).

But even under Leopard, Maya 2009 didn't run all that well. There were problems with the Animation Editors, despite my hardware being qualified.

Realistically, when do you think there will be a version which runs well on Snow Leopard?

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

The wait is getting annoying. I have Maya 2008 Unlimited (or whatever it is) I got it for an academic price and I can't install it in Snow Leopard. Someone posted instructions but they were only partial and didn't explain how to make the installer script editable for us non-unix people.

EDIT: Oops I just saw yours is installed and your having shader problems.

3. zarusoba thread starter macrumors 6502

I had installed Maya 2009 under Leopard, then upgraded to Snow Leopard. It does run. But the model is all one colour: in this a character which is all blue.

I also got the academic version, which is a great deal, but I really don't want to downgrade to Leopard to run this properly.

4. The JTizzle macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

i have 09 and 10 running on SN in my lab on a ton of machines. A few bugs, but still usable.

5. Gloor macrumors 6502a

I run Maya 2009 on SL and is useless to me. I mainly do animation and there is the annoying bug that makes the graph editor unusable which makes my laptop unusable too. Luckily, I didn't upgrade my desktop computer so I use that one for animation. Shame that Apple/Autodesk are too slow with this (apparently, its not only Autodesk's fault). I hope that 10.6.2 will fix it as there are graphic drivers or that Autodesk will soon release service pack or something otherwise my laptop is no good. And waiting 10 months for Maya 2011? I hope better not.

6. zarusoba thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I also get the Graph Editor bugs, as well as Dope Sheet bugs.

7. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

8. zarusoba thread starter macrumors 6502

You think they might drop Mac development? Yuck...

I wonder how big their Mac sales are.

9. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

I think Maya Mac sales will be safe.I do not know about Mudbox and the rest of the stable though.I was kind of hoping we had turned that corner for good with AD.....Hopefully I am dead wrong :}