When do you guys anticipate the iPhone 2.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wchong, Nov 8, 2007.

?

When do you anticipate a revision to the iPhone?

1. Within 6 months

7 vote(s)
    11.3%
  2. Between 6-12 months

34 vote(s)
    54.8%
  3. Between 12-18 months

15 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. 18 months or more

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. wchong macrumors 6502

Even though the iPhone has great features in it, it also has some shortcomings.

When do you think a revision of the iPhone will happen?

2. zed2 macrumors 6502a

I'd say that the US market will see it announce and then released in time for customer coming to the end of their contracts.. and then follow in the UK and the rest of the world.

I don't see Apple releasing a product which may of the people wanting it would not be able to take advantage of. They'd end up shooting them selves in the foot.

It's the loyal Apple base who are queuing up to buy the iphone and will end up to advertising the iphone to all their friends etc.

If they are not able to buy the new version who will??

3. Hustle macrumors 6502a

Maybe Apple timed the contracts just in time for iPhone No.2. When you think about it, USA got the iPhone 4 months before the UK, and they have a 24 month contract. The UK have an 18 month contract, therefore, this means that both the USA and UK will both have their contracts ending around the same time.

Sounds logical to me.

4. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I'm confident that AT&T would happily sell you a new phone while you're in the middle of your existing two year iPhone service contract. It'll just start the timer back over at zero for your new two-year service agreement.

I don't think there's any reason Apple would hold back a second generation iPhone because of existing contracts.

5. Hopstretch macrumors regular

Hopstretch

They'll shovel it out as soon as they can get a 3G chip in there without significantly degrading the battery life. No reason at all to hold off. You get to double-dip your early adopters in the US, who'll want to upgrade to the latest and greatest, and shore up your competitive position in Asia and the EU, where 3G is much more of a baseline feature.

6. Jarcrew macrumors 6502

Jarcrew

I think it'll be announced at the end of next year. In time for Christmas.

Oh, and from now on I see absolutely no reason why the US would get it, then Europe. From now on I can see fully synchronized worldwide deployment.

7. ascender macrumors 68000

You know, going by the amount of posts on here asking when the next revision of Apple kit will appear, I'm amazed anyone buys anything from Apple any more.

8. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

I think next year before holiday season or on June. With 3G, podcasts and hopefully radio. maybe even itunes rental?

9. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

It'll be a while - several markets still don't have it. I guess that its very early preview is causing everybody to wonder about v2

10. Jarcrew macrumors 6502

Jarcrew

I think they may just skip this version in Asia and other areas and just stick the 3G one down there when it's out.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 1.5G with bumped storage.

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i hope they don't wait till current iphone owners are in their 2 year contracts. Some of us are waiting for the next version

12. wchong thread starter macrumors 6502

doesn't anyone else have an idea if v2 is coming to fruition soon?

13. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Steve Jobs knows. All you'll ever find on the internet is wanking and navel-gazing.

14. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

If it is going to be in 2008, it's going to be late 2008. Kind of like a year from now.

Any earlier won't make any sense.

You don't release a second gen product within a year of the first one being released that is as hyped as the iPhone.

The iPhone 2 will be announced Jan 2009, being released in June again. Right when all the current iPhone ATT contracts expire :)

My theory.

15. calculus Guest

calculus

16. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

There's no need to time contracts - the iPhone isn't subsidized.

No way will Apple wait till 09 or even late 08 before releasing rev 2. With flash memory coming down and 3G making bigger strides, the iPhone will be embarrassing a year from now if that's their current offering. Sorry early adopters (that's me included), but Apple isn't going to hold off on new technology and keeping their products bleeding edge just because you don't want to be a gen behind.

17. decadentdave macrumors 6502

I didn't get Applecare because I expect them to release the new phone within a year. It makes no sense to buy the extended warranty if you are going to upgrade to the next model for obvious reasons i.e. 3G.

And yes, the release will coincide when the AT&T service contracts will expire.