Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When will Apple kill the Macintosh

• Total voters

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
It has to happen sometime, brands don't last forever. Eventually, the name, "Macintosh" will be discontinued on favor of a different name.

When do you think this will happen?

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
Well I really do not know if it could eventually be discontinued... but if it is, I hope it is in a really long time...

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
There would be a huge uproar if the computer line was to drop. But just the name? It'd either be after Steve (like the other psycho who can spell said) or a big new thing from Steve. So yeah. :)

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Some brand names are just to strong to ever die.

Kraft Miracle Whip, Johnson & Johnson Band-aids, Kimberly-Clark Corps Kleenex, etc.

I can't see Macintosh going by the wayside.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
never say never

I agree.

Mac and iPod are very strong brands, but let's not forget that Apple Computer was a major force in computers for most of a decade before the Mac was even a glimmer in the Steves' eyes. There's a whole generation of school kids in the 70s and 80s that will always remember the Apple ][, ][+ or //e as the first computer they ever encountered. The Apple brand will outlive Mac and iPod.

B

Retired
May 16, 2006
never say never

We don't use Band-Aid over here...and we don't say Kleenex for every tissue brand...I also hear that you guys say Q Tip when you mean the same thing from any brand, while we don't.

We do say Hoover here, even though most people's vacuum cleaners are of different brands. Only a few years ago, Yahoo! was an incredibly strong brand, but now Google is a verb...

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Gosh, I'm sorry, I voted, I'm participating in the thread, but it did strike me as a bit silly.

Can't we just use are computers as tools to accomplish what we need them to, and not worry about the branding they'll carry in 50 years?

Retired
May 16, 2006
Well... it is that groundbreaking and revolutionary that i'll leave it up to steve to think about it...I have no idea.:)

What I mean is that even if it could teleport you wherever you want, the name 'mac' could be kept...

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Knowing Apple, I don't think they will kill the "Mac". I voted never, but I thought this thread was based on when apple will kill the Macintosh Computer, you might want to make it more clear that the poll is about the name, not about the actual computer.

Edit: im confused, are we talking about the computer or the name?

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Knowing Apple, I don't think they will kill the "Mac". I voted never, but I thought this thread was based on when apple will kill the Macintosh Computer, you might want to make it more clear that the poll is about the name, not about the actual computer.

Edit: im confused, are we talking about the computer or the name?

If people would just read my original post, they'd know it was the brand name.:rolleyes:

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
The name Macintosh has already been discontinued in favor of just using Mac, but I don't think that there will be any changes for a long time if ever, the Mac brand is too strong to kill off.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
The name Macintosh has already been discontinued in favor of just using Mac, but I don't think that there will be any changes for a long time if ever, the Mac brand is too strong to kill off.

I'm going to agree.
In conversation, when either talking about my own computer, or others asking questions, I don't have a "Powerbook" or an "Apple", I have a "Mac".

The name "Mac" is almost synonymous with Apple.
The line "Is that a Mac?", isn't asking about the branding model, it's asking if the computer device is made by Apple corp.

~Tyler

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.