When do you think Apple will move to an on screen home button?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by toddsimon, Mar 23, 2016.

1. toddsimon macrumors member

toddsimon

The bezels on the phone need to go and the screen needs to fill the entire front of the phone.

Bezels suck!!!

2. Freakonomics101 macrumors 6502a

Freakonomics101

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

4. toddsimon thread starter macrumors member

toddsimon

surely they can figure out a way to Integrate touch ID into the screen.

5. fet12 macrumors newbie

2020. when do you think apple will unlock devices with your eyes instead of your fingerprint?

6. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Never!

I want to have a hard home button to reach with just feel, without have to look at my phone each time to go home.

7. willmtaylor, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

8. nfl46 macrumors 603

Probably iPhone 7S or 8. I can't imagine they will lose the headphone jack and home button in the iPhone 7. Two major things are once will be too much for their consumers to handle. I'm thinking iPhone 7S when they introduce their new screens.

9. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

Probably iPhone 8 not 7S because they don't do major redesigns with the S model iPhine

10. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

11. darkinners macrumors member

bezeless screen is not a good idea, because your thumb will obstruct the screen while using.
    There are reasons all the manufacture keep the bezel, not because technically couldn't remove it, it's because ergonomic reasons.

12. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

The Touch ID is essentially a camera scanner. The touch screen is not. Different technologies.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yeah, and that's why Apple will never make a screen bigger than the 5(S)'s 4" also. :rolleyes:

14. darkinners macrumors member

Different story, it was Steve Jobs who said 3.5" is the size best for human hand. And now he is not with us anymore.
    Since he have been gone, the world has changed a lot.
    Phones are not for phone call anymore, shifted towards to more information based, webpage and among other things
    Larger screen can really benefit that, try use a 3.5" screen when you want to check stuffs on wikipedia or other newer webpage. Sure some of them has mobile version but text still too small to read comfortably and content you can read per page is insufficient .

15. willmtaylor, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I was referring to neither Jobs nor the 3.5" screens: http://www.imore.com/tim-cook-addresses-larger-screen-sizes-says-apple-picked-right-one-4-inches

(My point stands.)

16. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I would love to get rid of the button and drastically lessen the bezels. I don't see this happening any time soon though.

17. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Tim Cook and Steve Jobs single most common focal point was and is... squeezing out every last dime of profit from each and every product they make.

A not so easy task that both men were true experts at. If nothing else, they deserve recognition for that fact. Just one look at Apple's financials proves that point without hesitation.

The small display is a key element in Apples ongoing, wildly profitable operation. By convincing throngs of Apple Faithful that Apple knows what's best for them, Apple remains in control.

18. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

With 3D Touch multitasking the home button is being used less and less. (For me). I would say around 3-4 years from know when we see a touch capacitive home button

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think it will happen, because of touchid. I'd be intrigued with the design though.