When do you think Final Cut Pro X will actually be Released?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by WizardHunt, May 30, 2011.

1. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Hey Everyone,
    When do you think Final Cut Pro X will be released? It will be announced of course on June 7th, but will it be available on that day? Doubtful. I hope they don't wait until end of June. I am thinking that it may be in the Mac App Store June 8th, (Next Day at earliest). What is your opinion?

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

3. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Just curious, why do you sense a delay?

4. 11thIndian macrumors regular

I wouldn't bet on it being at all related to WWDC. In fact, if it doesn't get released [or if there's no further info] this week, I think we're into a blackout period until the week after WWDC. Apple likes to stay focused on one message at a time, and the message at WWDC is all about Lion and iOS5.

There's 30 days in June, which is the only timeframe they've given. And my experience with Apple ship dates is that if they say "June", they don't typically mean June 1st.

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Does it take advantage of any new technologies in Lion? If so, I could see them wanting to release Lion + FCP at the same time on the App store.

6. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

New Final Cut Pro! And Motion? er, Color? ... not even Soundtrack Pro? ... DVD Stu? ... ... dang.

7. 11thIndian macrumors regular

It's unknown if Lion will effect FCPX in any way. Grand Central is already in Snow Leopard, and A/V Foundation [the new engine for FCPX] is apparently coming bundled with the program, based on posts made by Philip Hodgets.

So it certainly doesn't seem like you NEED Lion to run FCPX.

As for Lion itself, some are suggesting it will actually be released at WWDC, but I'm dubious. Apple has been sending out a steady stream of Beta's, but I think developers need a gold master before they can do what they need to do to make their programs compatible- so I think Lion will be extensively demoed and a final Beta sent out, but not released for at least a month. That been the past pattern anyway.

8. 11thIndian macrumors regular

Apple's usual wall of silence. It's very likely some of the programs will be EOL'd, but there's no info as to which ones. Some CC was demoed, and some sound mixing, but whether that's ANY indication is anyone's guess. I think you'd have to be crazy at this point to believe that Apple will continue to sink assets into a new DVDStudioPro. Livetype is likely gone. Motion will very likely be updated. But it's all just educated guesses at this stage.

I've been thinking about IF we'll see any further info before it just pops up on the appStore, but I'm not so sure.

Final Cut Studio doesn't rate a special event, Apple doesn't put up "pre-release" info pages [Lion excepted], and it doesn't fit into WWDC's agenda.

9. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

I thought Motion had cannibalized Live Type and Shake.

10. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

You have a good opinion, but don't you think that if you are correct in saying that Final Cut Studio does not rate a special event, which I agree with you by the way, but that it could be Steve's "Oh and One More Thing!" towards the end of the WWDC?

11. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Does anyone know for a fact if Final Cut Pro X is in Gold Master yet?

I am assuming that it is since they are calling for a June Release. Actually anytime in June is not that far away, but it would be nice if it was released the week of the WWDC.

12. Cougarcat macrumors 604

No. "One more things" are always impressive. A release date of pre-announced Pro software does not qualify. If anything, it would be announced at the beginning., before the stars of the show--iOS and OS X--take over. "We've started the year off strong. Verizon iPhone. Thunderbolt iMacs. iPad 2. All selling superbly. Oh yes, and remember Final Cut Pro X, announced in March? Released today, on the Mac App Store." Done.

13. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Yeah you are right, now that I think about it. This is pre-announced software. Now that I am thinking about it further, I doubt they will release it same day as Lion and IOS 5 comes out.

I am thinking it may be mentioned but be announced that it will be available in the Mac App Store on June 28th, 2011. Thats my guess now. Lets see how close I actually am.

14. 11thIndian macrumors regular

Again, I think it falls outside of anything related to what Steve's keynote is about- and it's a niche product without much crossover interest to anyone outside of the A/V world. There's no circumstance I could see him spending any time demoing it for that audience.

The only way I see it getting a mention is if Steve talks about the appStore, how successful it's been for different types of software, how you'll be able to download Lion. He COULD theoretically say they're leading the charge by distributing pro software- and brings up FCPX and a release date.

15. electrolux76 macrumors member

I think that it's kinda telling that at both it's closed door preview earlier in the year and at it's public preview at NAB, no hands on time was given to anyone. This makes me think that is still a good ways away from being a shippable product. Just my 2 cents.

16. 11thIndian macrumors regular

To my knowledge, Apple has never done hands on time with non-consumer software. FCS3 was just dropped on Apple's site, and FCS1 and 2 were demoed at NAB, but there was no "hands-on" component to either of those events. The most recent updates to Logic were similarly released without fanfare or events.

Apple has their beta testers [both internal and external], who have been using the software for X amount of time, giving them both technical and usage feedback. After release, FCPX will have the same user bug/fix issues that ANY software does.

NAB was only 6 weeks ago, if they were unsure if they could meet their release window, it would have been typical for Apple to have simply said "Later this year" or "Summer".

At this stage, I'm honestly expecting it to just be released to the appStore, with a very detailed information page simultaneously going up on the website. There are very likely people waiting with reviews who've been privy to the betas. Between Apple's official site, and those with official early access, we'll get all the info we need upon release.

17. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Ok, Then lets hope that it shows up quietly in the Mac App Store towards the first half of June instead of the 2nd half of June. I doubt we would see it before June 7th.

18. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

No I think you are way off here, as I think 11thIndian has it right. If they were not going to be able to meet the release date they would have mentioned at the NAB that it will be delayed or a Summer Release.

19. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Well quoting myself, it seems I may be getting closer to my prediction of June 28 for a release date for Final Cut Pro X. I was hoping for a sooner release date but it appears they are going to wait until the end of the month to release it. Does anybody out there have any updated information on this?

20. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

I recently found out that it is rumored that Final Cut Pro X will be released next week. Here is the article. CLICK HERE... Hopefully we will see it come out next week probably Tuesday June 21, 2011.

21. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

I wouldn't be surprised if it released the same day as Lion, but that is just my prediction. Hopefully it releases earlier. Any word on a price?

22. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

I doubt it. If you watch the video from the supermeet, the presenter keeps saying, "and it takes advantage of everything Snow Leopard has to offer."

I don't think they'll miss their launch window. And, with all the buzz Lion's going to get when it launches, I doubt that Apple will want to clump two news-worthy releases into one. That's just not their style.

23. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

It will be $299.00 from the Mac App Store.

24. 11thIndian macrumors regular

Tuesday June 21st.

25. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Well it is released this morning. In the Mac App Store. Cool.
    If you download it , and start using it, tell me your first impressions.