When do you think Firefox 3 RC1 will be out?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by higgalls, Apr 9, 2008.

1. higgalls macrumors regular

Hey,

I know Beta 5 is out, but I was wondering whether anyone knows when the next version (im assuming RC1) will be out? Would it be a matter of days, or weeks or what?

Thanks.

Cheers, Chris

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I'd wait for a user called clevin to answer this one,he's the resident knowledge base on firefox

3. Dalriada macrumors 6502

I'm using Firefox 3 Beta 5 in the office and it so far has been rock solid and nice & snappy. Believe they said last week final candidate release due in June.

:apple:Dal

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Thanks, :D

RC 1 code was frozen last night. If previous process can serve as precedent. I would expect RC 1 in 2 weeks, Aprl 14th - Aprl 22nd, It might take longer tho, since RC is a bigger release than betas..

you can follow the progress here http://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases/Firefox_3.0rc1

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Thats Ok,but true as you was straight in with the answer,as i knew you would be

6. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

I don't wanna steal this thread, but i do have one issue with FF3. What is with the oversized back button?! No need! Keep it small and minimalist like camino have managed. Regardless of the looks, i will use FF3 because of the excellent JS console for webdev, but come one, get it together.

I don't want to have to correct this with a crappy theme X-D

7. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Agreed, if you have a FF problem or question, clevin is da man!!

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I know you don't like theme's but have you looked at these?

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

1. they made a change to reduce the size of keyhole yesterday. u should see it in rc1.

2. if you right click toolbar and customize it. check "use small icons", it will be all good......for u :)

[​IMG]

10. Highway61 macrumors regular

Yeah, I actually like the oversized back button. It is the one distinguishing feature appearance-wise that reminds me that I'm not using Safari.

Sidenote: Instead of themes--which are all too-samey and "cutesy"-- I would prefer an ability to change the color/gradient of the brushed metal.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, they didn't totally remove the oversized back button, just "less oversize"

this is current sets

big icons
    [​IMG]

small icons
    [​IMG]

about themes or not, you might want to try out personas

PS. I suspect the theme change will go all the way through final release, if you have any suggestions/complaints/opinions, please do goto mozillazine.org forum or submit a bug report at bugzilla.mozilla.org

12. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

Thanks for the snappy response. This is good to hear, I didn't think it was like FF to have something as inefficiently sized as that. I don't use the back button, its on my mouse!

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Im always over-hype on this ...lol

if you are a mice person, please do try out either mouse gestures, or firegestures, it allows you to operate browsers (back, forward, reload, new tab, homepage, close, minimize window, move to top/bottom of the page) by draw lines using mouse within browsers

14. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Clevin for your answer. I ended up installing Beta 5 after your response and I like it.

I have set up some gestures with multiclutch, and it is working brilliantly (although for some strange reason I cannot add anymore gestures - it simply won't accept any key combinations I put in).

Cheers,
    Chris :)

15. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

Clevin,

Another question actually, if you don't mind.

I have just found out that when I click on my Boookmarks menu, none of my bookmarks are there. If I click to organise my bookmarks, they are all there under All Bookmarks>Bookmarks Menu (and then there are bookmarks there, as well as other folders which contain bookmarks).

Nomatter what I try (i.e. moving around my bookmarks), I simply cannot get them to appear in the bookmarks menu (when I am actually in the 'organise bookmarks' section, they do all appear in the bookmarks menu at that time, but as soon as I close the organse bookmarks box, they disappear from the bookmarks menu again).

Any ideas?? I have tried searching on the net, but haven't had any luck yet.

Cheers,
    Chris

16. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Im happy to answer any questions as I can. :)

Im not at my MB right now, so i can only make some general suggestions

1. did you try restart firefox? sometimes the library get stuck somewhere and restart firefox will help

2. did you update from previous version of firefox? if so, please try re-establish a new profile and see if problem persist. (please search "firefox profile" here at MR for details about how to do it)

Also if you can post a screenshot of missing bookmarks, that would e helpful too... :)

17. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

There hasn't been any update on that site since the 8th of April. Is that pretty normal? I would have expected more to happen on that site by now (or will it all just suddenly go through on the one day??).

Cheers,
    Chris :)

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

here is an example
    http://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases/Firefox_3.0b5

many things will indeed race through in 1 or two days.

However, RC will attract much much more users than beta, Its quite possible they want to make sure its safe to do so.

19. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

I hope it's soon, feels like an age! As much as I love Camino now, the lack of a decent tool to debug with is a major downfall. I'm really looking forward to this.

20. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I just got notice that rc1 is out. Im sure most ppl running beta5 have or will get this notice too. So final release is almost here. Ive experienced no problems with beta5, a few crashes here or there, but not very often.

21. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

I just did a "Check for update..." and Firefox updated from Beta5 to RC1

So I guess it is out officially :)