iPad When do you think iPads will replace laptops?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GKDAIR, Dec 17, 2013.

1. GKDAIR macrumors regular

I see topics every now and then pop up on this site about how someone can't decide between a traditional laptop or just an iPad.

Or someone will make a post asking if it's possible to just use an iPad instead of a computer.

Obviously the laptop market will never go away, but my question is more asking, when do you think an iPad will be just as good as a laptop.

Personally, I'd say about 2 more generations. Right now, I own an iPad 3, and I mostly use it instead of my laptop, but when those college papers need writing, I spend my time on that. This semester I had to make videos, write 10+ page papers, and download files and share them with other users. The iPad just can't handle all of that right now, and yes there are workarounds, but I'd personally prefer doing it all on a PC.

Obviously for a paper you'd need a blu tooth keyboard, and that will never change unless the iPad comes out will holographic keys. Give a few more generations to put some more RAM and increase processing power and I think you'd have a legitimate device without the need for a computer.

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I think the iPad Air is a perfect laptop alternative right now. It'll probably be a few more years before the iPad gets as good as a laptop. I'm not sure when they will replace them, if ever, but at this very moment iPads are great laptop alternatives.

It also largely has to do with the App Store. Many powerful iOS apps are out there that didn't exist a few years ago.

3. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

In my wildest dreams: Next year

Realistically: Not until Microsoft or some other competitor takes away enough iPad business with a touch screen device that is actually capable of doing the work you describe. I don't see that happening soon but I really hope it happens eventually.

I would LOVE to be able to get work done on an iPad. I bought my first iPad last month for exactly this reason and so far it has been frustrating. I like having my documents synched to the cloud but the lack of file management means I can only transfer documents one way (out of or into an app) when what I'd really love is the ability to manipulate ONE file by multiple different apps. I need this for management of pdf articles that I want organized in one app but edited in another. I was also surprised by the limitations in email attachments which required crazy workarounds in order for me to simply email a document to my professor (the professor's email address was only in gmail not apple mail and I needed it to be a reply to a previous email not new email).

I still like my iPad but it is basically a 2nd screen extension of google drive/drop box + a web browser (that crashes all the time...). Not even close to replacing a computer and the frustrating thing is it could be right now if Apple wanted to but that isn't the direction they (or google I might add) seem to want to go...:(

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It has for me, mother, girlfriend, stepmom, uncle, colleagues, since iPad2. Personal use, vacations, trips to visit parents, sitting in living room.

For work, corporate stuff. Still my corp issue Precision.

5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I will add that I've got my rMBP, but I exchanged the rMini for the Air partly because I'm using my iPad like a laptop. Been doing most of my writing on it. There are some really great productivity apps out there.

But for certain things, you need a desktop OS. But it can done.

6. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I almost never use my old HP laptop and my wife never uses hers, hasn't in a few years. However, we do have a Mac Mini for anything our iPads can't handle. If I wasn't in school I could most likely get by with just the iPad.

7. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    The question being answered is different than the one asked. The question being answered is "has the iPad replaced a laptop for you?" but the question asked is when will the iPad replace laptops? I read the latter more as "when will iPads replace <all> laptops?" meaning when will a tablet be a suitable replacement for anyone who uses a laptop now.

If I read it right, it will be a VERY, VERY long time. While iPad can do a lot of things- especially on the content consumption and light "computing" sides of things, those who need computer power- especially on the production side- need a "real computer."

I'm going to go with a Star Trek timeline: in the 23rd century when keyboard-based input is "quaint" (forgotten) and the AI is smart enough to program itself to do anything you want by a simple verbal description (Siri's great, great grandchild or so). Since a new iPad comes out every year, I predict it will be the iPad 257. If we want to be the usual Apple optimistic, I'll back that down to iPad 157.

Also that year, Apple will back iWork 2250 features back down to 2150 level, take the backlash and then promise to put the missing features back "in future enhancements." And the iDevices then will be so thin that they'll be fully transparent. Apple fans will have to carry around the boxes to prove they actually own one. Etc.

8. Misskitty macrumors 6502

When it has basic multitasking.

It wont be an ipad that replaces the laptop first.

----------

WOW, i guess thats possible if you use the computer for nothing more than email and youtube.

9. GKDAIR thread starter macrumors regular

No, the question being asked is the same as the one being answered, only you felt the need to go off on a tangent.

----------

Pretty much the only reason I get on my computer anymore is for school projects and for heavy typing sessions.

Also, I've used plenty of android and other tablets in my time, and I've always come sprinting back to Apple.

10. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Then take my apologies. I thought you were asking a bigger question. Lots of people are going to post that it already has for them.

Since I'm more of a "producer," I stand by my tangent answer. I have both and I can't foresee a time when an iPad will fully replace a laptop for me. As great as the iPad is in some situations, it would be miserable (for me) to try to do some of what I do on an iPad instead of a laptop.

11. Misskitty macrumors 6502

And thats fine, but when i go back to my desk with two 27" monitors, ots no comparison. No way i could stare into a 9.7" screen all day but i sure can with two 27" displays. The laptop is here to stay and anyone who thinks different out to lunch. Tablets are still a niche market. Everyone i know has a laptop, while only a bunch have tablets.

Try multitasking on ipad like on acomputer with multi displays. You cant.

12. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

13. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Tablets will continue to take over more and more tasks from computers, but due to physical size limitations, it's doubtful they'll ever completely replace them.

14. 617aircav Suspended

This here. Once i can do the same thing on a tablet that i can do on my macbook air, eg run a full copy of adobe illustrator, download straight from the web to the hard drive, have sd card slot, usb slot etc

15. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Ding ding, we have a winner.

16. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

Not everyone needs an ipad air, rMini, laptop, desktop with dual 27s, a chrome book, and an adroit tablet like u

17. mripadmini macrumors regular

My iPad mini has replaced my laptop completely.

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Even the most basic user will have trouble swearing off the laptop when they buy that Garmin or any other brand gadget that needs its firmware updated and the iPad can't do it. Or they get a music CD or movie DVD they want to rip. Or they want to run that piece of software that's not available for iOS, like Quicken Home and Business. There is only so much contortions you can go through to avoid a real OS, even if you are the most basic user. Sure, it can be done, but Apple wants you to live in the Apple ecosystem, where you buy all your media from iTunes and you only buy Apple gadgets and connect to Apple Airport Extremes, yadda yadda. And there is just too many people for which that Apple vision ain't gonna work.

Then you have the minority tech market, very small but very vocal. We need USB and HDMI ports. We need access to the file system. We need too many things the iPad is not going to give us.

I don't think the iPad will ever replace the MBA or the MBPro. It is a complimentary device, not a replacement. There are many people who will be able to make do with just an iPad. Their needs are limited and they will do fine for the most part. But as long as there are non-Apple gadgets to be had, there will be a need for ports, access to the file system and a real OS. IMHO.

19. PDFierro macrumors 68040

What? Basic users don't even do stuff like that. Hell, I consider myself a power user and even I don't.

20. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

So you don't own any gadget that would require its firmware updated? Ok. If you can avoid all these use cases and have no need to, say, reply to an email chain and attach a document, for example, the iOS will work fine for you. Otherwise you will need a little more oomph than the iPad.

I love my iPad. And I can get a LOT done with it. Just not everything I need.

21. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Actually, I use a Mac for a bunch of things. But I don't own any separate gadgets that would require its firmware to be updated. And while I do rip Blu-rays/DVDs, it's not a necessity.

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, that was my point. If someone took all my PCs and laptops away tomorrow, and I only had an iPad, I could make do. Mostly. Some things I would have to change (like my favorite financial software), some things I would have to do without (like ripping or updating gadgets), some things I;d have to put up with (like not being able to attach a doc to a reply). But it could be done.

There will be a point where there are a lot more people that can do without than need to do these things. Maybe. And at that point the iPad could replace a laptop. My point is that there a too many people needing to do things that iPad can't do, which is one of the reasons there are so many PCs and MBAs and MBPros being sold today still. And they will continue to be, IMO, for the foreseeable future.

Taking a look at the Dell Venue Pro, it could potentially replace a laptop. I needed another USB port so it could charge while you have peripherals connected. And there is the issue of horsepower, which it obviously lacks. No more COD late night sessions unless I choose to go console.

I could live with only an iPad. I'd be miserable but I'd manage. I still remember not having a computer at all. We used to manage just fine :D

23. JoeRito macrumors 6502

JoeRito

When it has the following three things:
    1) file management
    2) allows multitasking of two or more apps on the same screen
    3) better keyboard navigation, i.e. use of tab and arrows to change the active area of focus.
    Need keyboard to do work, but switching between touch and keyboard takes too long, need to do it all with a keyboard when work is being done. Touch is awesome for messing around, but a keyboard is essential for productivity.

24. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

When I got my first iPad 1 I almost replaced my Powerbook G4. Then I got a 2007 MacBook Pro and I was thinking about giving up my iPad 1. I bought an iPad 2, I haven't touched my 07 Macbook Pro. This year I got a mid 2012 rMBP, and went to school I had to use BOTH anyway. :apple:

25. GKDAIR thread starter macrumors regular

I don't mean to offend people, but I think some people are living too much in the now.

For example, burning CDs? I can't tell you the last time I burned a CD. My MacBook Air doesn't even have a cd drive. Never needed to use one except one time to set up a printer. Cd drives haven't gone the way of the dodo, but they are headed that way.

File management will also go the way of the dodo when cloud computing takes off. Hell, my Mac already wants to download everything to the cloud. Also with apps liked Dropbox I can already send papers to professors, if my professors didn't have PCs from 1995.

Apple wants you to use heir ecosystem, but there are plenty of options on the App Store to use different ecosystems.

While I still believe android is still too rough around the edges, they have things like file management already. I wouldn't use it. But that's my opinion.

People never thought we'd be able to play San Andreas on a phone, yet here we are.