Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When/how will Big Sur be released?

• Announced at the October 13th Event; Available to download shortly thereafter

Votes: 21 9.4%
  • Announced at the October 13th Event alongside an Apple Silicon Mac; Available shortly thereafter

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Announced at a November Event, give or take alongside Apple Silicon Macs; Available shortly after

Votes: 198 88.4%

• Total voters

lxmeta

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2018
Austria
My prediction is sometime after November 17. The machines with silicon chip have to be released before Mac OS big Sur is released
Not sure I understand your prediction.
Are you saying that the new Apple Silicon Mac(s) will be released without macOS, or with a beta version of macOS?
I am really sure they will not be released with Catalina or iPad OS ?

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Either way, I'm not installing until after the first major update, and until all my apps are supported!
Made that mistake last year!

Reactions: Big Ron

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Could be no more beta's and they're happy with it being ready for release, so nothing until GM, which they will release the day of the Apple Silicon event..... ?

ww1971

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2011
Not sure I understand your prediction.
Are you saying that the new Apple Silicon Mac(s) will be released without macOS, or with a beta version of macOS?
I am really sure they will not be released with Catalina or iPad OS ?

all Computers Must come with operating systems so Mac OS big sur won’t be released until the machines with silicon chip are released

Reactions: robotica

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Could be no more beta's and they're happy with it being ready for release, so nothing until GM, which they will release the day of the Apple Silicon event..... ?
Nice try, but anyone who has ever written any piece of software knows it's never ready for release. I hope every day longer it takes to release it, is another day of bug fixes done.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Nice try, but anyone who has ever written any piece of software knows it's never ready for release. I hope every day longer it takes to release it, is another day of bug fixes done.

I never said they stopped working on bug fixes. If you know about writing code, development and testing, you then must realised I meant that it had met MVP status.

Edited to add: Apple has had it before where the last beta and GM were a month apart, it’s not like we always get a weekly release before GM.

lxmeta

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2018
Austria
all Computers Must come with operating systems so Mac OS big sur won’t be released until the machines with silicon chip are released
Guess we both meant to state the same obvious then :cool:
Just failed to parse your original statement.

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010

This still makes no sense. Big Sur works on intel Macs as well, so it would be totally reasonable for Apple to release it before the release of any silicon Mac.

The silicon Mac would then ship with the .01 update (or whatever they call it) of Big Sur.

Case in point: The first intel Mac was released HALFWAY through the lifespan of Mac OS Tiger. Tiger was at 10.4.5 by the time the first Intel Macs were released.

Reactions: ghboard2010

lxmeta

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2018
Austria
This still makes no sense. Big Sur works on intel Macs as well, so it would be totally reasonable for Apple to release it before the release of any silicon Mac.

The silicon Mac would then ship with the .01 update (or whatever they call it) of Big Sur.

Case in point: The first intel Mac was released HALFWAY through the lifespan of Mac OS Tiger. Tiger was at 10.4.5 by the time the first Intel Macs were released.
1) the new Apple Silicon macs need Big Sur, otherwise the would not run
2) Apple usually releases new OS versions with new devices. There are no new Intel devices we know of in the pipeline before the Apple silicon macs

1) means we should have Big Sur latest with the new ARM macs. 2) means there is no good reason for Apple to release on of their bigger new OS transitions „randomly“ mid-cycle

Not claiming that I have to be right, just explaining my logic behind the assumption...

Reactions: Ansath

lxmeta

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2018
Austria
I assume there is something in the GM that reveals the first Apple Silicon hardware to be shipped.

That's why the GM will come only after said hardware has been revealed.
Interesting point!
This depends if they ship any "fat" binaries containing code for both architectures, or if they have strictly separate binaries for either Intel or ARM. I can't think of a very good reason to have the OS or any App contain both the ARM and the Intel code, so maybe only the ARM version of the OS and Apps will reveal any of this.... or maybe not :rolleyes:

Reactions: Big Ron

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Wasn't there a whole project to strip fat binaries, older 32-bit libraries stripped out?

Rosetta is dead! Long live Rosetta!!

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
I assume there is something in the GM that reveals the first Apple Silicon hardware to be shipped.

That's why the GM will come only after said hardware has been revealed.

It wouldn't matter regardless. If there is, its going to be listed as something like Mac Pro 8,1, MacBook Pro 27,1, etc., etc.
They dont stash an EveryMac style spec list for anything in the OS, it will tell everyone absolutely nothing about the new machines aside from the family and model number.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
It wouldn't matter regardless. If there is, its going to be listed as something like Mac Pro 8,1, MacBook Pro 27,1, etc., etc.
They dont stash an EveryMac style spec list for anything in the OS, it will tell everyone absolutely nothing about the new machines aside from the family and model number.

It might refer to other hardware things. Like it might indicate FaceID, for example.

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
I never said they stopped working on bug fixes. If you know about writing code, development and testing, you then must realised I meant that it had met MVP status.

Edited to add: Apple has had it before where the last beta and GM were a month apart, it’s not like we always get a weekly release before GM.
Yes. But you'd be finding bugs, even after the GM has been released. Often there is a .1 beta already being worked on, before the GM is released, that's the way it is, no software will be bug free.

lxmeta

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2018
Austria
There's a lot of hot air round these parts. Just get on with your work and the GM will come along when it does: whether you have a hissy fit or not.
We are simply enjoying the conversation and speculations. And so far it went very civilised.
But you are right, we are not solving anything and we are not contributing to stopping world hunger.
Thanks for the reminder.

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
There's a lot of hot air round these parts. Just get on with your work and the GM will come along when it does: whether you have a hissy fit or not.

The literal title of this forum page is "When do you think Mac OS Big Sur will be released?" that's what everyone is doing, throwing out their armchair theories, all with a grain of salt. By your logic, watching a sports game and saying "I wonder who will win" is a pointless conversation.

This is all basically watercolor talk why we wait for apple to release it, its better than discussing politics!

I'm gonna assume you really hate chit-chat, which is fine, just don't grump on others for enjoying it.

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Considering Beta 10 is better than the Catalina GM and it’s the first beta that I started doing real work with, I’d be happy enough with a GM this Tuesday. I’m quite impressed with this version of macOS. A few tweaks here and there and it is the best ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.