When Do You Think The 12" Macbook Will Update?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Penlocky, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Penlocky macrumors member

When do you think the 12" will update?
    When cannon lake comes out?

I have just bought and returned 2 MBA 2018. The display on the 12" MB is better, and I can't believe the speakers on my mum's 2015 12" MB has clearer and louder sound quality than the new Air as well!
    So I am dead set in getting the 12".

I am deciding between.
    1. Getting the old 2017 version now with potentially defected 2nd ten keyboard and no thunderbolt 3.
    2. Or a new future update with better keyboard and thunderbolt 3. (Really want that thunderbolt 3 bruh)

The thing is, how long will I have to wait for an update?
    Do you think apple is waiting for Cannonlake chips with 10nm for a jump in performance/power efficiency/graphics? Or are they intentionally not updating it to not give customers choices so the air sells well?

Thanks all!

2. Florida Gator macrumors regular

Doesn't sound like Apple is motivated to update any Macs unless they can offer "meaningful" updates. Processor bumps don't seem to move the needle for them.

3. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

Why keep the 12" MacBook around when the 2018 Air is basically the same thing, only bigger? I think they're going to let the 12" MacBook die sometime next year. But I hope I'm wrong.

4. Penlocky thread starter macrumors member

I bought the air as well to compare, but I fell in love with the small MacBook 12" =D.
    I have the new air and is waiting for the 12" to arrive to do a final decision.

I do not know much, but I believe the 12" will remain. It might be updated only once cannonlake comes out at the end of 2019 or beginning of 2020.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 5, 2018 ---
    I root for the same thing as you, I hope the 12" will continue!

5. clarencek macrumors regular

I got tired of waiting and bought a refurbished MacBook. I can’t justify paying full price for a model that hasn’t been updated in over a year.
    Hopefully a real update will happen before middle of next year. I think 12” is the perfect balance between easily portable and usable for work tasks.

6. Penlocky thread starter macrumors member

I agree, perfect size!

Hmmm to be hopeful it updates while we just bought one. That would be frustrating! =P

7. KPOM macrumors G5

I’m guessing the next MacBook is either Cannonlake or the A14x (ARM).

8. Penlocky thread starter macrumors member

I agree with Cannonlake. A14X? That would be amazing!

9. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

The 12" MacBook really is the perfect size.
    I'm hoping that we'll see ARM in the 12" style of design.

As the MacBook 12" will be 4 years old in March 2019, hopefully we'll see a redesign. Personally, after seeing the whole Mac range at the Apple Store this week, I really do not understand the new MacBook Air. The only thing nice was the new gold colour. The 12" MacBook looked way nicer - pure chic and a few hundred pounds extra buys the MacBook Pro TB. It's very hard to see where the Air fits in.

10. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I didn't want to make a new thread in case it was covered already...

I went to best buy this past weekend to browse around and noticed that the retina Macbook was not on display. Now, it doesn't mean much considering it is an apple kiosk inside a best buy which they have limited space. I just thought it was interesting. They had everything else on display (imac, pros, ipad, iphones, apple watch).

Might be something to consider. My guess is with the limited space they operate in a BB that they select the best / most popular products and the the rMB is on its way out...

I have a 2016 rMB and I love it despite the battery not being as good as advertised, one port, etc. It works well for my light uses though.

11. KPOM macrumors G5

The MacBook Air is the newest, so naturally it will get the most attention. The 12” MacBook isn’t likely to be updated until late 2019 or early 2020 based on Intel’s chip schedule. The chip in the Air isn’t much of an upgrade over the chip in the MacBook.

12. lowkey macrumors 6502a

Um, you answered your own question... The 12" MacBook is smaller and lighter. Oh and no fan. Win.Win.Win.

13. huffy15 macrumors regular

I don't believe apple will update the new macbook anytime soon. Look what they did with the mac mini. Refurb base model still sound like the best option. The only reason this computer exist is the portability. The mbp and mba are a way bigger. If you mostly work from home forget it and get a macbook pro

14. Yvan256 macrumors 603

Yvan256

Depends who you ask. Some people prefer a bigger screen so 12" is not a win. And you may hate fans but they allow CPUs to run hotter and a lot longer at boost speeds before being throttled because of overheating. So to me, the MacBook is lose-win-lose. Its price is also insanely high for what it is IMHO. The MacBook Pro, for only a few hundreds more, is a much better choice for a lot of people.

15. Penlocky thread starter macrumors member

With intel's new Sunny Cove 10nm die. Depends on when this new 5W CPU comes out, the Macbook should be updated then.

When do you guys think the new 5W comes out?

16. curmudgeonette macrumors 6502a

Released by Intel: Late 2019.
    In a machine released by Apple: First half 2020.

Looking at Apple's rMB12 release history: There might be an Amber Lake rMB12 in early 2019.

17. Penlocky thread starter macrumors member

I don't think apple will release an amber lake MB12 because the Macbook air already host an Amber Lake chip which is uses more energy but is only slightly more powerful. Essentially the same 5W amber lake chip might be only the same powerfulness as the current kaby lake. The iGPU in the amber lake and kaby lake is also the same. And amber lake does not have integrated thunderbolt 3.

So if apple releases an amber lake MB12, it will be of the same power. I think they will skip to Sunny Cove. Which might have integrated thunderbolt 3, twice iGPU power, more power while saving energy. Its the perfect mac! hahahaha

18. KPOM macrumors G5

Amber Lake is just Kaby Lake with a faster clock speed. It’s been annoying reading the reviews that confuse Intel’s “8th generation” branding with an actual improvement. I doubt they will update the 12” MacBook before Cannonlake/Sunny Cove.

19. Penlocky thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, and intel hasn't made it clear when in the year will sunny cove debut too, like in their roadmap charts.
    Or have i missed it? hahaha