Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When do you think there will be a MBP refresh?

• February 2nd

Votes: 29 15.1%
  • February 9th

Votes: 20 10.4%
  • February 16th

Votes: 30 15.6%
  • February 23rd

Votes: 44 22.9%
  • March 2nd

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • March 9th

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • March 16th

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • March 23rd

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • March 30th

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • April 6th

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • April 13th

Votes: 16 8.3%
  • April 20th

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • April 27th

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • Other (Please Explain)

Votes: 17 8.9%

• Total voters

Bumble Bee

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2010
Its somewhat disheartening to still not hear about resellers saying that the current model is approaching its EOL or shortage of stock. That's what usually happens, a couple of weeks before a product revision. I'm refreshing MacRumors every half an hour just to read such a news.

However, I wrote this in another thread too, MBPs are refreshed at exact intervals of 8 months. It has been like this since 2006, you could see the dates on the MacRumors buyer's guide.

So, February, probably at the end. I really can't wait any longer !

If this theory is correct and my math is correct then we are looking at first week of febuary.
If you take 365/12 you get an average monthly day of 30.14 days in a month
30.14 * 8 months is 243.333 Days then we are looking at first or second(second week is more of the 243-244days) week of February from june 9th 2009
If your theory is correct about the exactly 8 month refresh

sixfortyfive645

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
If this theory is correct and my math is correct then we are looking at first week of febuary.
If you take 365/12 you get an average monthly day of 30.14 days in a month
30.14 * 8 months is 243.333 Days then we are looking at first or second(second week is more of the 243-244days) week of February from june 9th 2009
If your theory is correct about the exactly 8 month refresh

Here's the data behind the 8 month thing: MacBook Pro Buyer's Guide

Actual dates of releases are given in the linked articles, and you can see that the last few updates have occurred at the following intervals: 224, 266, 237, 232 days. That's an average of 240 days. We are currently 234 days since the last update. Assuming we won't be setting any records with this update (>266 days), it should be by the end of Feb, if not sooner!

kahless

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
i realize this is a bit of a redundant question, but what do you think - my (2.5 yrs old) macbook pro (without warranty) had a hardware defect two days ago :/ i'm still waiting for the cost estimate, but given that it will probably be around 400-800 euros - if there would be a new MBP release in two weeks i could probably wait, otherwise i need some notebook to work with :) .. so... should i buy a new MBP right now, wait for a new MBP release, or just pay to get it repaired? any ideas? :)
(sometimes i really adore the release announcements of lenovo & co - but i just can't bare the thought of switching back to windows or linux right now ;) )

Nein01

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2009
Germany
it's going to be on february 5th.

i already told you guys i called steve and asked him to do the refresh on my birthday.

...and he loves alliteration in case you didn't know (friday february fifth)

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
USA
i realize this is a bit of a redundant question, but what do you think - my (2.5 yrs old) macbook pro (without warranty) had a hardware defect two days ago :/ i'm still waiting for the cost estimate, but given that it will probably be around 400-800 euros - if there would be a new MBP release in two weeks i could probably wait, otherwise i need some notebook to work with :) .. so... should i buy a new MBP right now, wait for a new MBP release, or just pay to get it repaired? any ideas? :)
(sometimes i really adore the release announcements of lenovo & co - but i just can't bare the thought of switching back to windows or linux right now ;) )

Looks like what happened to my Dell -- the start of an event that has led to me to wait for Arrandale.

It's a GPU issue.

thirdykal

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
They'd be smart to release it by the 9th, in time for both Chinese New Year and Valentine's Day. I'm not so sure how big a sales holiday Valentine's Day is, but I know for a fact CNY is HUGE. People get massive 2 month salary bonuses, plus hongbaos (red bags) filled with a couple thousand USD total. Currently Apple is gaining popularity in China because "they look nice", but people aren't quite fully tempted to buy because of the lower specs than in PCs.

Bumble Bee

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2010
They'd be smart to release it by the 9th, in time for both Chinese New Year and Valentine's Day. I'm not so sure how big a sales holiday Valentine's Day is, but I know for a fact CNY is HUGE. People get massive 2 month salary bonuses, plus hongbaos (red bags) filled with a couple thousand USD total. Currently Apple is gaining popularity in China because "they look nice", but people aren't quite fully tempted to buy because of the lower specs than in PCs.

I had no clue about Chinese New Year thats interesting

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
The major impact on spring sales in the US is tax refunds from the IRS. Most people don't get everything done in January. There is also usually a delay between filing and getting the refund. The majority of people used to get this money in April but this has begun shifting earlier in recent years. In 2010 most people will probably have their refunds by sometime in March. I suspect the people at Apple are very aware of this and will try to time their MBP refresh for mid to late February.

eyekyu

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2009
i don't think it will be until mid-May

one thing everyone seems to forget is that intel came to apple with the arandale ready for the mbp's and apple rejected it because of the integrated gpu. for intel to remove the integrated gpu will take alot of r&d work, testing and whatever else. it's not something they can just remove and presto it just works

thirdykal

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
i don't think it will be until mid-May

one thing everyone seems to forget is that intel came to apple with the arandale ready for the mbp's and apple rejected it because of the integrated gpu. for intel to remove the integrated gpu will take alot of r&d work, testing and whatever else. it's not something they can just remove and presto it just works

Was that ever confirmed? No one else but that one source which I never heard of before seemed to report that.

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
No point in CNY release. Apple wont be able to ship MacBooks nor will they will be send retailer inventory immediately if shippers are closed for the holidays.

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
haha.. sorry I dug up this old thread because it's funny and still relevant 70 days later. I remember voting in this but I forget which day I chose.. so far, there is not one vote for tomorrow

GregGebhardt

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
haha.. sorry I dug up this old thread because it's funny and still relevant 70 days later. I remember voting in this but I forget which day I chose.. so far, there is not one vote for tomorrow

Well there IS one, I just voted!:p

Do I win anything?:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.