Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pathfinder55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
When does everyone think they are going to update the Apple TV again, cause I think they could improve them for the holiday season. I hope they will update it before the holiday cause I am interested.

So tell me your thoughts!

pseybold

macrumors member
Im hoping for a software/firmware update this week to get the iTunes store on it...and ultimately i hoping for video rentals via Apple tv ASAP!!!! i really cant see them do much more than maybe upgrading the storage space anytime soon.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
When does everyone think they are going to update the Apple TV again, cause I think they could improve them for the holiday season. I hope they will update it before the holiday cause I am interested.

So tell me your thoughts!

My thoughts are realistic, tempered by Apple's staff-on-hand, number of products that need attention, and the fact that they are a public company with a responsibility to their shareholders (NOT their product owners), and that responsibility it to make more $ to make Apple more profitable.

Without discussing the merits of the common theme that runs through their current business strategy, it is clear that detrimental bugs, those faults in the programming, that cause a product to be not what was advertised, are fixed, and quickly. These updates happen regularly.

When a product is stabile and requires no bug fixes, typically, the only update it receives is to provide the user with an opportunity to spend more money with Apple. With the iPhone, the first two updates (not including bug fixes) were to provide the owners with 2 new ways to spend money: ringtones; and the WIFI ITMS.

So, my guess, for the little it's worth besides seeing a clear path in their corporate growth, is to say that sometime in the near future, one of two things is going to happen:
  • The ITMS will become available for couch-potato purchases.
    OR
  • Nothing.

My guess is that we will see some interaction with WIFI ITMS in some shape or form, as soon as The Steve is done with his European Conquest.

-- Mikie

andrewag

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2005
Australia
I guess people at Apple are still busy preparing Leopard. Maybe after that we will see some software enhancements. There is not much to add in terms of hardware besides video recording.

As previously suggested, maybe iTunes wifi store.

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Actually the upgrade coming in a few weeks is going to have a blu-ray drive, along with 1080p support. It will come with full OSX with ilife, safari, etc.b and have a keyboard/mouse as well.

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
Seeing as how our :apple:Tv's are nothing more then a "hobby" to Steve and the crew, I don't see much in the way of upgrades any time soon.

We can hope big, but I personally see little coming down the line unless the xmas season sees Apple TV's flying out the doors.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Seeing as how our :apple:Tv's are nothing more then a "hobby" to Steve and the crew, I don't see much in the way of upgrades any time soon.

We can hope big, but I personally see little coming down the line unless the xmas season sees Apple TV's flying out the doors.

Only if they grow wings.

iDriveX

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2003
Ventura, CA
If it were truely a hobby, I wish Steve et al would open up the platform to let developers truely code for the AppleTV with an easy way to upgrade the firmware once you download it off the internet. You screw up your Apple TV? Simply attach it via USB to your computer and click "Restore", like we do now with the iPhone. Then it could REALLY explode as a product.

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
If it were truely a hobby, I wish Steve et al would open up the platform to let developers truely code for the AppleTV with an easy way to upgrade the firmware once you download it off the internet. You screw up your Apple TV? Simply attach it via USB to your computer and click "Restore", like we do now with the iPhone. Then it could REALLY explode as a product.

I just don't see this as a mainstream product. It may explode with the geeks (I'm one myself) but how many sales are we really good for?

Mainstream people just are not ready to make the connection between the computer and TV.

iDriveX

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2003
Ventura, CA
Oh it's absolutely geeky. So let the geeks screw around with it! Enable the USB Port, let the geeks write software to attach TV tuners and recording capabilities, add features to the existing software, stuff like that. Make it everyone's hobby, not just Apple's. Just wishful thinking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.