When do you think we will get an aluminum TC?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by puma1552, Oct 16, 2010.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

Spare me the "it's plastic because of the wireless needs" rhetoric. It's been shown that it could at least have an aluminum surround, and a plastic top and perform fine. The white plastic is outdated, and out of sync with Apple's lineup.

So when do you think we will get an aluminum TC? Would love to replace my 500GB model with a nice aluminum one.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hard to say, maybe next Wednesday? :p I would like to see dual HD version for extra capacity.

3. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

An SSD version would be even sweeter, but SSDs don't have the capacity, the price, and even if they did it would take Apple an extra 2 years to adopt.;)

The other thing I wonder about, looking at my MBP, my 24" ACD, and my aluminum remote on my desk, is why the hell don't they update the iphoneipod docks to aluminum as well? The 3G dock and TC look odd on my otherwise aluminum desk. I guess with the dock you'd have the issue of scratching the device, but maybe the part that contacts the phone/ipod could be black plastic or something.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

SSD would be useless since wireless N can only provide ~10MB/s in real world. Even Gigabit Ethernet is only ~100MB/s in real world while SSDs can provide up to 285MB/s. SSD would be waste of money at the moment, maybe in future when SSDs are cheap enough

5. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

No doubt, I was just thinking in terms of reliability it would be nice to have, given the importance of our backup drives.

Sometimes I wonder why I even have a TC though, I just back up everything important to a USB stick anyway...:eek:

6. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Id rather have a plastic tc with a standard hard drive that I can actually afford.