When do you think we'll see Blu Ray and HDMI?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by louis0nfire, May 10, 2010.

1. louis0nfire macrumors 6502

I want to upgrade my 13" to the new i7 15", but I really wish Blu Ray and HDMI were added as well. I'm not really in a rush, but I'm not gonna wait a year just for those things. Do you think those are still awhile away? Thanks.

2. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

HDMI is available now, works flawlessly. A less than $5 adapter off Amazon provides full HDMI w/digital audio on the new MBPs. See the numerous HDMI threads here for details.

Why everyone nags that the MBPs don't have HDMI is beyond me. Good grief, it's a tiny adapter on the end of the cable. Is it that big a deal? Do folks gripe they have to use a power adapter as well, why can't you just plug the laptop directly into a wall socket?

3. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh I didn't know that, that helps.

4. iSax1234 macrumors regular

Yes apple had adapters for that and quite frankly we probably we will never see HDMI on any Mac, light peak is now in the mix more than ever and can run basically everything from mice to displays so hopefully Apple will adapt that very quickly. Blu-Ray more than likely never as well Apple has the iTunes store that has HD content. Is it Blu-Ray? No. Unfortunately thats what we're stuck with and will be for a while.

5. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess if the soon-to-come Mac Pro updates have Blu-Ray then maybe it'll eventually make it's way down the product line.

6. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Doubt jobs would want to pay the royalties blu-ray would entail; pretty sure he's subtly expressed this before.

7. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

He said 'Bag of dirt' or some such gardening metaphor. If you want Blu-ray, get a Windows 7 notebook.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I think the bet (and probably a very safe one) is that Blu-Ray will be obsoleted by online content.

9. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I think Steve jobs has already commented on why blu-ray isn't on macs yet. If someone feels like searching maybe you can find the article.

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

Actually Steve Jobs said that Blu-Ray was a "Bag of hurt". I have never seen that used as a gardening metaphor.

11. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Funny how Blu Ray isn't in the MAC's considering Apple is on the Board of directors for the Blu-ray Disc Association

12. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

LOL. I guess we can chalk this one up to the old adage "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer"

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's also been over five years since this press release committed to future support for the format. Five years is long enough to wait, so I've voted with my wallet and stopped buying Apple products until Blu-ray support is added.

14. lordofuo macrumors regular

We will have Blu-Ray when something better is available on Windows based laptops. ;)

Alex :apple:

15. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I like Blu-ray ----hooked up to my HDTV.

I want optical drives to die as far being integrated into computers. The ship has sailed on optical technology. It's slow and clunkly and loud.

I love great HD but don't want to deal with the crap that comes along with it should Blu-ray force us into another decade of craptastic optical mechanisms.

16. ZTuned macrumors member

I can't remember the last time I purchased a movie on a DVD. And to this day, I haven't purchased a single Blu-Ray movie.

If you ever want to watch a Blu-Ray quality movie on a MBP, torrents are your friend ;)

I could not care less whether or not Apple ever decides to put in Blu-Ray, hell, I rarely even use the stone-age Superdrive.

17. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

This, I wouldn't mind losing the optical drive, as long as apple provided a usb(Lightbeak, usb 3.0) external drive.

18. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

External Blue-Ray

Is it possible to take the HDMI output, from an external Blue-Ray player, and using the Mini-DVD input port, play it on an iMac?

19. chris8535 macrumors member

Never

I highly doubt we'll see Bluray in the future for macs. I was at a conference where Jobs talked about this and I wrote a story that appeared in the Wall Street Journal about it here -- http://voices.allthingsd.com/20081015/steve-jobs-blu-ray-is-a-bag-of-hurt/

Jobs seems to believe Bluray is a simple matter of technology gone in the wrong direction ergonomically. Most people can't tell 720p form 1080p so why even bother with a physical format. I'm pretty sure he's completely opposed to physical libraries of media.

20. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

USB 3 might be a non-issue compared with Firewire 800

Just saying the real world is very often much different than the specs.

21. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"I think the bet (and probably a very safe one) is that Blu-Ray will be obsoleted by online content."

Fearless prediction (made by an old guy):
    "Hard copy" storage will _never_ be "obsoleted" by online content.

Regardless of how far and wide online distribution grows, there will always remain a need, and a desire for, possession of something "in the hard copy".

If anything, we seem to be moving towards more _restrictions_ upon online distribution -- hence, we see ISP's imposing "download caps", etc. How many gigabytes are consumed by a typical BluRay movie?

The digital infrastracture for online distribution isn't growing rapidly enough to foresee an eclipse of hard-copy distribution any time soon. If you happen to live in an urban/suburban area, this may be less apparent. But I know of at least one person I've chatted with online who doesn't even have _utility company power_ at their home yet (very rural North Carolina). They use diesel generators for AC power and a microwave setup for phone/net service.

And there will remain folks (like myself) who like to be able to hold a copy of music (CD) or movies (DVD, BluRay) "in their hands".

Apple will get BluRay at some point. If they don't implement the technology "in-house", I expect to see some enterprising individuals/companies come out with a "BluRay-Apple" solution....

22. trondah macrumors 6502

Soon we'll have direct HDMI to MDP 1.2 cables as well, there's absolutely no need for plain HDMI on the MBP. We get the best of both worlds.

23. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The studios dictate the licensing terms, not the BDA. Apple (Jobs) doesn't like the current terms, so there's no Blu-ray support for Macs (officially).

There's talk of a cable adapter that can do this from one company, but I don't know they've succeeded. However, you can connect an external Blu-ray drive and play Blu-ray discs on your Mac if you have Make MKV.