When do you want to die?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Abstract, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

With the rate of increase of the average life expectancy decreasing (in developed nations) due to obesity, age-related deaths, cancer, pollution, etc (ie: life expectancy is still increasing, but not as quickly as before), is that such a big deal? Who wants to live until they're 98? 104?

I think I'd be happy to die at 85, but 80 wouldn't be so bad. Even 75 isn't a bad age, although living until I'm 80 or 85 would be ideal. That would be quite a good life. Beyond 85, I'd be too old and tired to do most of the things that make life worth living.

I know some of you think, "Oh, my grandfather hiked through Ireland when he was 87 years old. There's still a lot to do!!", but I'm trying to be realistic. Most of the time, I'd be sitting around waiting for my grandkids to call......and they never will. :p Going for a hike would be a monumental achievement, and people would be so thrilled to see me do something. How sad. "Don't patronize me. I used to wipe your ass and bathe you, biatch!"

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That would depend on my physical and mental condition at any such age. Maybe 80 or 100 ...we'll have to see.

Personally, I think it's a strange question because obviously we won't know until we've reached that point (or maybe we never will).

3. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No, we won't know. Maybe I'd live until I'm 91. I may die tomorrow. I don't know. I just hope that I don't live past that, and yet live long enough to do as much as I can do. If I'm lucky, I'll live until I'm 85, and then die painlessly in my sleep. :)

4. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Some days I want to live to 100, other days I want to die that day.

5. BigPrince macrumors 68020

If I live past 60ish then I wanna live until I am 88 so I can witness the Tri-centennial if we have one.

6. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I'm just lucky to be here. I'm enjoying life; not calculating it.