When does a pre-order get charged?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aforty, Jun 14, 2010.

1. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Was wondering about how credit cards are charged for a pre-order. The gf wants to buy the new iPhone by pre-ordering it online tomorrow for home delivery. However she doesn't have enough money currently on her debit card right now but will later. So question is, when does Apple actually charge the card? At the time of the order or at the time of shipping? If it's at shipping time she could just make sure she gets the money in there ASAP but still do the pre-order tomorrow morning, right?

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

You will get charged when the order ships which would be either Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. They may put a $1 hold on the card to verify it initially when you do the preorder.

3. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

When I paid for something at an Apple store with my debit card, my card didnt get charged until a few days later.

4. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

Ordering something is different from pre-ordering. Usually, you are charged when it ships. However, there have been debates about what happens.

5. aforty thread starter macrumors 65816

aforty

That's what I thought/hoped too. But you think it'll ship as early as Tue/Wed? That seems early. What was the shipping pattern with the iPad, anyone here pre-order that? When did you get charged vs. when was it shipped?

6. tatyiona macrumors regular

tatyiona

AT&T website says they will authorize it first to make sure the funds are there but they won't charge it until it ships out and when I spoke with an apple rep they said they charge it when the order is placed

7. monksealpup macrumors regular

All of Apple's pre-orders do not get charged until they ship. The pre-authorization typically takes place 24-48 hours before shipment. Presumably AT&T is the same way.

8. aforty thread starter macrumors 65816

aforty

And when do you all think they will actually ship the phones? Presumably they'll be shipped directly from China, what does that usually take?

9. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

There are two parts to a charge, the AUTH and the CAPTURE. When they do the AUTH, it basically checks that there are funds available and reserves the funds. This authorization is good for up to 7 days. I'm pretty sure they can also renew the AUTH.

By Visa/Mastercard/Amex/etc regulations, they are technically not allowed to CAPTURE until the item is shipped. Many companies ignore this because they basically ship the next day, or at least close enough that noone would notice, so they just do the AUTH/CAPTURE all at the same time.

10. christyn macrumors 6502a

it's authorized for the FULL amount when it's placed, and charged when it ships

11. aforty thread starter macrumors 65816

aforty

Probably asking for too much, but do you know if a bank would decline an authorization due to insufficient funds or only when that auth is turned into a charge?

12. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I know that but the person I was referring to said that he/she gets charged when shipped. However, I am thinking that he/she is referring to any order.

13. aforty thread starter macrumors 65816

aforty

14. casedogg311 macrumors member

I'M in the same boat. I'm just gonna wait for like 30 mins after pre orders start, and find out from here which method (Apple v. AT&T, home delivery v. Pickup) won't charge my card till shipping.