When does an academic year start/stop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Affe, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Affe macrumors member

Also, if you are accepted and buy a notebook during one academic year, can you buy another notebook within the same year (if it is not the same academic year)?

2. ready2switch macrumors 6502

ready2switch

Normally academic year is the same as the institution's fiscal year, which for us begins July 1, so summer. I'd have to check the HE policy page to see what it specifically says about the year (whether academic or calendar).

3. jng macrumors 65816

jng

As far as I know, academic year runs Sept 1st - August 31st here in the US. At least that's how health insurance works per academic year. But this may not apply to Apple.

I'd double check with Apple. Just use their contact form.

4. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

believe me they do not care. you are paying them for it first off and each university has a different academic year. they just don't want people buying like 20 MBPs at edu prices and selling them above edu, but below consumer.

5. mbrellisford macrumors member

They are one step ahead of that. Apple keeps track of the purchases you make with your educational discount and limit you to:

1. Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    2. Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    3. Notebook: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    4. Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
    5. Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year
    6. Apple TV: There is no limit on the quantity of Apple TV purchases per academic year.
    7. iPod: There is no limit on the quantity of iPod purchases per academic year

Not sure what month they have the new academic year starting though.

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yes, but I think the question is, if I, say, bought a notebook last year on July 1st. Can I now buy a new notebook tomorrow? Am I in a new academic year, or am I still in the academic year in which I bought the notebook?

7. weeman macrumors 6502

You should just try to buy one and see what happens. Is that at your local university?

8. hidehide macrumors 6502

I bought a macbook on May1. So I bought buy another laptop in July1??

9. phuong macrumors 6502a

last year i bought 3 notebooks, one MBP for me and two MBs for my gf and a friend of mine. the timeline were: white MB on September 5, MBP on November 17 and black MB on November 30.
    not to mention MP, displays and iPods.
    all with student discounts.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

This interests me since I bought an iMac last August.

11. amoda macrumors 6502a

Holy $#%$ phuong. You sure you're a student? That's like a good 10k worth of hardware.