When does Apple charge against pre-orders?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Swampthing, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Swampthing macrumors 6502a

Swampthing

Does Apple perform a funds check right during pre-order or can you order with fifty bucks in the bank. Are funds generally taken when the item ships instead?

2. CJLevinsk22 macrumors member

CJLevinsk22

Apple charges you the moment you hit the SUBMIT button. Within minutes, I saw the $299+tax hit my credit card when I checked online!

-Chris

3. anitrajw macrumors regular

I believe the funds are held until your item is shipped, it does reflect in your available balance though so yes you need to have the $ to cover the costs.

4. applefan022 macrumors 6502

i used my debit card and has already been charged!

5. Swampthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

Swampthing

Interesting. I still haven't seen the charge on my statement yet. Got the order in at 3:47PM EST, according to order status. Hmmm....

6. awestruck macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure all charges will be removed until the phone ships. Most preorders aren't carried out until whatever you preorder ships.

7. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

I got through the Apple Store pre-order process and it never asked me for my credit card. It just offered me store pickup options.

Very confused?! :confused:

Did I get a pre order or not?

[​IMG]

8. br1an425 macrumors newbie

you probably shouldnt buy it unless you have the money in your account, just in case they charge you are preorder

9. agallowa macrumors regular

agallowa

?

i thought that apple was only supposed to charge you either when you pick it up or once its shipped? if thats the case that they charge you immediatly im going to have to wait till the 24th. even though im waiting anyways since i need 2 white ones. hopefully apple says something regarding that sooner than later. throw us a bone apple!

10. Hawklight macrumors member

I'm pretty sure those charges you're seeing are just authorization charges. I dont believe they actually charge until they ship, at least that is how it has worked for me in the past with Apple store products.

11. Adamb18c5 macrumors member

If you reserved it through the Apple store app they don't charge you until you pick the phone up. The confirmation email informs you to bring your credit/debit card with you.

12. agallowa macrumors regular

agallowa

?

authorization charges meaning if you dont have enough in there at the time of preorder it wont go through even though they arent "charging" you until later?

13. Hawklight macrumors member

When Apple charges your account

Apple receives authorization to charge your account prior to shipping your item(s). However, your card will only be charged after your order has shipped. If your order contains multiple items and they ship at different times, you may see multiple charges on your credit card statement.

14. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

It took a couple hours, but my credit card was charged this morning after I completed my pre-order with apple. I am having the phone shipped to my home.

15. snook911 macrumors 6502a

No you did not get a pre order you got a reservation to pick one up at the apple store you choose. If you go to the apple store on launch day there should be a phone there with you name on it.

16. snook911 macrumors 6502a

No authrization will still go through and will bring your account into the negative if using a debit card. Then you will have to pay those nasty bank fees. Most likely what will happen in that authrization will stay on your account until it ships next week then it will turn into a purchase.