When Does Apple Decide that a Battery is EOL

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dgbarar, May 30, 2019.

1. dgbarar, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019

dgbarar macrumors 6502

dgbarar

Hi All:

I own a 2016 MBP15 that I purchased in December 2016. At 466 cycles, when the laptop is fully charged, the system reports a current maximum of 5469 mAh (82%). After the battery discharges approximately 50%, the system reports a maximum charge of 5269 mAh (79%).

It is my understanding that any battery that reports out as being less than 80% inside the first 3 years of service is a warranty replacement--I have Apple Care. The question is where does Apple measure current maximum? At full charge? 50% discharge? Somewhere else?

Don Barar

2. mroy16 macrumors regular

They'll most likely check the battery when you bring it in. I'm not sure if they would go through the effort of charging your laptop just to see if the reported capacity changes. If you're near enough to an Apple store, you can bring in your laptop at half charge and see if they'll replace it.

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

If you take it in, my prediction is that they're going to tell you that the indications you're getting are "normal" for a MBP of that age and battery cycles...
    (I could be wrong)

4. dgbarar thread starter macrumors 6502

dgbarar

Gee. I wonder what Apple will charge for a battery replacement for a 2016 MBP15. Their $199 battery fee. Or, since the battery is glued in will they expect me to pay for a new top case, battery and keyboard?

Don Barar

5. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Are you going to take it in to see if they will replace it?

6. dgbarar thread starter macrumors 6502

dgbarar

Not yet. My Apple Care does not expire until December 2019. I think I will run it down a little more to see if can get to a point where it will stay below 80% which is a clear battery EOL.

My question on cost was more hypothetical as to what Apple will charge to replace a battery on a 2016-2019 MBP when the warranty expires. If they want to charge for a full top case replacement because they glued the battery in this may be my last Apple computer!

Don

7. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I don't know of anyone who has tried the $199 battery replacement fee, but I imagine that the fee wouldn't be listed if it was more than that and one was expected to replace the top end case. But this is indeed an assumption on my part.

My wife's 2017 MBP (used heavily) is at 94% health after 1 year of use. Mine is at around 98% with much higher usage. (Both started at over 100% according to coconutBattery).

We have AppleCare+ as well. Going to be interesting to see what 2021 is like. :)

If we are going to keep these laptops for 6-8+ years, I imagine at least one battery replacement will need to be done.

8. LogicalApex macrumors 6502

They will charge the $199 fee. The reality that they glued it all together is their problem not yours.

9. leman macrumors G3

I don’t think there is anything wrong with your battery based on the stats and the listed replacement fee is the full price, including all parts and labor. Regardless of all this, why do you want your battery changed? Is there some issue with it, are you getting abnormally short battery life?

10. dgbarar thread starter macrumors 6502

dgbarar

Yes, I do have short life. For a battery that only has 455 charges to be at about 80% is well short of the expected 1000 cycles. When a battery get's below 80% maximum original design capacity there is the potential of swelling causing damage to the laptop.

Don

11. TommyBoy5 macrumors member

If it's under Apple Care they are very good about replacing the battery. I had my battery replaced twice on my 2015 MacBook 12" and both were under warranty. I waited until it was around 75%. The check battery notification came on both times when it hit around 75%. Maybe it was the Service Soon notification. I can't recall. Took about 900 cycles for each battery to be low enough to be replaced by Apple.

I was going to pay the $199 for this third replacement as I'm currently around 65% of capacity on this third battery but instead I'll upgrade to the new MBP 15". I want more screen real estate and actual ports! I do highly recommend this little MacBook, however. Three batteries and three keyboard replacements - but none on my dollar.