When does it come with Lion?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dilum2444, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Dilum2444 macrumors newbie

I want to buy a MBP, but I want it to come with Lion (I don't want a clean install of it, fresh new bright Lion, nothing else), so I'm waiting for Lion to come out. Now, the rumors are that it'll be released on Wednesday. Suppose that it IS released on Wednesday, if I buy my MBP on Wednesday on the Apple Online Store, will it come with Lion? What can the past tell us about this?

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

With previous releases the Mac's that were already built just came with a drop in disc containing the more recent Mac OS and the user had to install it themselves. I imagine that they will now come with a leaflet or something of the sort telling you to open the App Store and download then install Lion along with a redemption code.

While any Mac built since they made their shipping build of Lion will have it preinstalled. So if you do a build to order after the release it will have Lion installed. Along with any new models assuming a new Air or Mac Pro are released.

As for those coming with Snow Leopard installed I would say it will take a few weeks for stores to clear out their inventories. Though it can take much longer for small resellers.

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

If you just buy a SL machine now and install Lion on it tomorrow, it will be the same as just buying Lion from the get-go. It isn't like updating the OS gives you fragmented files, a slower computer, and clogs up the memory.

It's fine; some people prefer to do clean installs but it isn't the same as Windows. You can simply update and have everything working exactly the same way.

4. Dilum2444 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's but people have been telling me, but , as I fanboy and this being my first Mac, I'd really like it if it came with a Lion. It just feels so clean. But thanks for the info :)

5. mprofit macrumors regular

mprofit

I'm with you, I've been holding off on buying my laptop for Lion's release for this reason.

I agree it makes sense that any built-to-order Mac from today on should come with Lion pre-installed, however at the bottom of this page from Apple's website it still lists Snow Leopard as a "feature" for all MacBook Pro models and Lion for the new Airs (here: http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/notebooks.html). Does anyone think this indicates one way or another? I'm planning on buying one that will be built-to-order, but am I better off waiting a few days just in case?

6. SixeL macrumors newbie

That makes the three of us!

I am looking to buy an iMac though.. and not Built-To-Order..
    Unless magic trackpad option is considered BTO. :eek:

I might pull the trigger and get it tomorrow or something rather than wait 1-2 weeks for nothing really..since at the end of the day it'll be lion.