Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pianoman88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
First day with iWatch 3 and it shows 1,538 steps and 11 hours standing. The only problem is that the number of steps reflects my standing time and the hours walking are actually hours sitting.

How can I fix this?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
There is no way user can fix this, as I have several hours of sitting registered as standing or moving goals. Y’know, when you can wave your arm to complete “exercise”, the ultimate goal of having those activity rings is to keep you motivated and encouraged to do some form of exercise throughout the day.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

pianoman88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
This would be a valuable update to the OS. We all sit too much and it would be nice to know how much time we spend sitting.

It already knows when we're sitting, sending reminders to exercise for a minute after one hour of seat time.

Last edited:

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
It already knows when we're sitting
It doesn't as much KNOW that you're sitting, as registering that it is not moving much (IE, you're keeping your arms mostly still), and then interpret that as sitting. I suppose you could be a Queen's Guard standing rigidly on post, and it would still register that as sitting... :p

It has no way to definitively know whether you're sitting or standing, there's no sensor short of a camera or the likes pointed at you from a distance which could help it determine that... :) Therefore, at times it will guess wrong in its interpretations of your movements.

Reactions: AppleKarma

pianoman88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
It could be based on pulse, I suppose. Watching TV or typing would have less affect on your pulse than walking.

Trust me, the last thing you want to do is waste your time inputting the time you were sitting, standing, walking, watching tv, etc. In my experience what the watch detects is pretty accurate. As indicated above sometimes it thinks your sitting if you haven't moved around too much and sometimes it thinks your standing if you've been doing a lot of gestures with your arms. But it's already doing as best it can based on how you are moving your arm.

The red "move bar" graph in the activity app gives a pretty good approximation of how active you've been. If you want even more information (or information visually displayed differently) there are dozens of great apps which track that data in different ways.

Reactions: AppleKarma

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Arms down= Standing, arms horizontal= sitting/laying down. It has nothing else to go on

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.