All iPads When does store.apple.com usually go down?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DollaTwentyFive, Oct 31, 2013.

1. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

As title says, I remember in past launches that the online apple store goes down before a launch. I thought it was several hours in advance.

2. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Iirc, it was just like 1-2 hours.

3. nigameash macrumors 6502

4. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

It's down now.

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

What do questions like this (and their answers) do for people? Clearly it's a sign that you're chomping at the bit to order your ipad. You want an ipad, I get it. But answers to these micro specific questions aren't going to change the fact that the ordering doesn't start until 12am PST. Does it really matter when the store goes down? Help me understand. Not that it matters...

6. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

When does the store come back up after being down? Is it 3 1/2 minutes before midnight or do they sometimes get it live with 8 1/3 minutes to spare?

7. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

Oh my dog. Someone needs to pass around some margies or brewskis during the wait. We're gonna survive people!

8. csrini1 macrumors regular

9. DollaTwentyFive, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

DollaTwentyFive thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why does crawling up my ass (because I'm curious about something) make you feel better about yourself? Clearly it's a sign you're insecure. You want to hate on people, I get it. But questioning every post in a passive-aggressive manner isn't going to change the fact that you're an unkind person. Does it really matter if I am curious about how Apple handles their launches? Help me understand. Not that it matters...

Also - (although both spellings "technically" are acceptable) It's champing at the bit, not chomping.

10. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

Now I need some oxygen. 'Bout fell out of my chair.
    Macalway, thanks. Thanks heaps. :D

11. DollaTwentyFive thread starter macrumors 6502a

Another comedian. What I'm actually curious about is the process. i.e. how much do they have ready to go ahead of time and how long does it take them to update all facets of their website to go live. Why are so many people on this site such dicks?

12. JeffMorse macrumors regular

I assume because the question has been answered many times over. The site goes live at 12:01am pacific time. At that time sales start.

13. Oui macrumors 6502

Because it's the internet and it makes them relevant.
    In the real world they're irrelevant.

14. bobright macrumors 601

I get what you're saying but what do replies like this do for you? Lol

15. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

16. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Well, I never promised you a rose garden. And kind is way overrated anyhow. Besides, I'm kind when it really counts. And it rarely counts.

While you totally avoided my question (curious isn't an answer, at least not an honest one), I will thank you for the champing vs chomping tip. I've been saying it wrong my entire life, and will now probably get caught in an hour long wiki vortex investigating its etymology.

17. Macalway macrumors 68000

Yikes chill dude :D

Kind is overated?

There are tons of real little kids here. Take care

18. DollaTwentyFive thread starter macrumors 6502a

You aren't saying it wrong - you're spelling it wrong.
    The answer really is I am genuinely curious. I work with managers for several websites and large changes take a long time. I'm genuinely curious about how quickly Apple can take down the website, upload all the changes and bring the site back live and ready to go for a launch. It's amazing to me. I guess the answer is about 2 hours - but that just blows my mind.

19. Capt T macrumors 6502a

UK = Champ at the bit
    US = Chomp at the bit

Not unlike Color or Colour

20. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Well that is a far more interesting way to put your question.

If you haven't noticed, this site gets flooded with people asking about the tiniest details of every single aspect of a product launch, typically with an agenda, relating to making sure they get what they want/think they deserve/demand, when they want/think they deserve/demand to get it.

The amount of posts about tracking the delivery of iPhones alone is enough to crash smaller sites.

It gets old quickly.

That said, I would assume that Apple has dozens of mirrors of the entire contents of store.apple.com at the ready at any given time, in hot swappable hard drives, or even entire swappable servers. They probably build the go-live-at-midnight version of the site weeks in advance, then I'd imagine it's just a matter of swapping out the drives/servers with the new site.

There's no uploading involved. They host everything on their own servers.

21. Oui macrumors 6502

It's back up and ordered for I store pickup today.