When does student discount expire? Looking for a MBP.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MrMan112, Apr 27, 2007.

1. MrMan112 macrumors member

I've been looking at the 2.16 MBP for some time now, and was going to wait for the next version to be released (possibly in June or later), but I will be graduatin from school in a few weeks and want to take advantage or the student discount.

When does this expire? I was under the impression that it expires when you are no longer a student. Someone on this board mentioned that Apple extends the discount for 6 months after graduation for new graduates, but I have not been able to verify this on the Apple website, so I'm not sure if this is really true.

I know alot of people mention that Amazon.com has no shipping/tax charge and that Apple student discount pretty much only covers tax. For the same model MBP with AppleCare, on amazon.com, I got $2299.98. WIth the Apple store, with student discount and tax, I got $2190.85. The difference is over $100.

How badly do I need a new laptop? My PowerBook G4 is pretty painful to use at times, and embarassing because the latch is broken (I keep it closed with rubberbands). If the educational discount extends for 6 months, I will most likely wait. If not, I'll just got buy a MBP and be happy with it.

I appreciate any thoughts!

2. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

You do not actually have to be a student to buy at student discounted store on the Online Apple Store. Well, you should, but they don't really have a way to check, so...

If you buy in store, they may or may not check, and it will probably be up to the guy who sells it to you whether they give you the discount or not.

A second method is to enrol in the Apple Student Developer thing, which costs like $99. You get a once in a lifetime super discount, which is roughly the equivalent of being able to upgrade to the 2.33 MBP for the same cost as the 2.16 Edu, or just get the 2.16 cheaper. This discount is much more than the cost of membership, about an extra 8% discount on top of Edu. To do this, you need to send proof of enrolment to Apple, and it lasts for a year. Are you still attending classes?

3. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

I'm having the same questions. I'm finishing uni in a couple of week's, not graduating till June, and my student card stays valid till September, but as far as I know - as long as I can long into a university networked computer and sign into the proper EDU discount for higher education store, then I should be fine.

At least for me, I know that I can wait till September because mystudent card says so - but if there's a 6 month gratuity period, then I'd love to know about it!

4. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

If your student card is valid until September... How else are the big bad Apple employees going to check that you are a student???

Student ADC discount is hard to get. Edu discount is easy to get.

5. DVvM macrumors newbie

Apple's been running ads in the university newspaper here saying something to the effect of "Your student discount expires when you graduate, so buy now." So I'd assume it's that.

6. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

7. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

I find it so funnny that Apple seem to assume that they'll get sales over here in the UK without an ounce of advertising, or promotions for that matter. Off topic I know... but if I ever saw an add from Apple over here in the UK saying something like that - I'd eat my hat. It'd never happen - at leat not at the moment.

8. MrMan112 thread starter macrumors member

Today was my last day of classes.:D I considered the ADC discount, but they don't give discount on AppleCare, so with the same MBP I used earlier with pricing, the cost would be $2193, which includes AppleCare, tax and cost of the ADC developer student memebership ($99).

If I had any use for the development tools or other resources you get with ADC this would be worth it, but you can see this is $3 more than the student discount. Its really the AppleCare ($349 vs $239) and cost of ADC membership that evens things out.

9. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

It may be a tad too late to tell you, but you can always buy the MBP ADC w/o APP, and buy the APP from the Edu store, to take advantage of both discounts...

10. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

All you need to know is...

It expires just before the new release is out

Even if the new releases are unveiled before the deal expires, guess what? They will not be included.

Apple is not a charity...

11. jng macrumors 65816

jng

I would ask Apple. Because on the edu gateway page from the generic store, there's conditions about limits on purchases per academic year. So it may be that you can buy up until August 31st.

Use the contact us form if you're really anxious.

As for me, I just got ADC about 2 weeks ago and I finished my last final (that counts) today, wahoo!

12. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

This question had crossed my mind as well. I was planning on getting a Mac Pro about 6 months after I graduate but now I might just get one of those Apple credit accounts and buy it before then. That discount is quite a lot when you buy the pro machines.

Either that or hope I can land a job working for Apple and get an even better discount on a Mac Pro :D

13. miket019 macrumors member

"When does this expire? I was under the impression that it expires when you are no longer a student."

It never expire, all you got to do is go online and click on the education discount, and pick a school of your choice. That's it, then you can buy anything you want, they won't verify or check.

14. janey macrumors 603

janey

The regular pricing vs. edu pricing vs. adc student member/adc member+hardware discount asset pricing is vastly different. in a lot of cases, it'll be cheaper to get the $99 adc student membership and buy the mac pro through the adc store and still save money (including the price for the membership).

15. fireball jones macrumors member

I used my student ID on my new macbook, graduated 2 years ago (err...make that 3 now). :D

16. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

What does ADC stand for?

Also, I don't know if it's different in the US, but when I bought my MacBook over the university computer network, the Apple Care was substanially discounte, infact I think it was free.

17. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Apple Developer Connection
    http://developer.apple.com/products/student.html

18. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

How much is the discount for?

Could I use it to buy this system:

MacPro 4 2.66
    Two x 23" monitors
    extra RAM, HDD etc...

?

Also, it says for testing purposes only... how to they check on this?

19. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

They can't check. It doesn't matter.

You might have to buy the second screen Edu.

Oh, and damn that's a good rig for a student... What the hell do you do???

20. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

Architecture, but that's not what it's for. I'm going into photography when I finish uni in a couple of weeks, and last year I saved up my student loan 3K, so... time to set myself up - an investment really, just like my pile of lenses that have slowly been mating.