When does the MacBook warranty start?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 1Sail0r2, Jun 6, 2014.

1. 1Sail0r2 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am planning on buying a MacBook Retina in the next few days but will be going on vacation out of the country soon afterwards. I am buying it now because of the $150 best buy student coupon, but I will be on vacation for about a month and I wasn't planning on using the laptop or even taking it out of the box. My question is this: does the warranty start on the day you purchase the laptop or does it start when you first turn on and register the notebook? If it's the former I wouldn't think that's very fair that the warranty would keep ticking before I even used the laptop. If that's the case hopefully I can call apple and ask to have the warranty date revised to when I first turned the laptop on.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Warranties always start at the date of purchase.

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Your warranty starts from the date on your receipt. Should you elect to purchase AppleCare any time during the first year of ownership, it starts retroactively from the date of purchase. If you bought your machine today and added AppleCare in 6 months, your expiration date would be June 5, 2017.