When does the NDA expire?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Julien, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Is there a known fixed date when the NDA expires or is it an open date that Apple will set closer to launch or is the NDA expiration date also covered under the NDA? Sure would like to see some real reviews or at least know when to expect them.

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

The NDA refers to developers. I would say once people have the device in hand, you will definitely see reviews, same day. No worries.

Unless your a developer, the NDA doesn't really affect the general public with knowledge.

It matters as of right now because the device isn't released and the NDA is in place. We know oh so little from the iPad Simulator.

3. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

No, there is also (or can be) a NDA related to reviewers (or at least there was on the original iPhone). On the original iPhone I seem to remember Walt Mossberg getting into a little hot (or warm:D) water with Apple about giving a couple of hints of a review upcoming as soon as the NDA expired. It seems hat the NDA was lifted about 2 weeks to a month before the Original iPhone release and there were several reviews released on that day.

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

Actually, you might be right about that. However, in this case, I don't think it's the same. On the day of the keynote, they could have made them sign an NDA, but we have tons of videos of people playing with the device.

I would say as soon as you get the device, you'll see a review. I don't think anyone will have an iPad before it ships to the general public.

5. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I remember reading (somewhere?) that when Stephen Colbert was given his iPad to present at the Grammys, he was told backstage by Apple to be very careful with the device as there were only three of them circulating in public right now. I believe they then took it back after it was over. There was also a spy photo posted online that people said showed a guy using an iPad under a table in a coffee shop. Whatever...but I bet that there are some out there being used by important reviewers who usually favor Apple products.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If history is any guide we won't see Mossberg, Pogue, or Baig's reviews until a couple days before launch. They are likely the only reviewers with an advance unit. All other reviewers will likely get their unit on launch day.

7. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

The date the NDA ends... is also covered by the NDA! ;)

8. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

That's what I strongly suspected. Hopeful it's soon.:D

9. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Yeah, it is a pretty standard clause in an NDA. I also want it soon, but at most we are looking at 3-4 weeks and that isnt too bad.

10. admanimal macrumors 68040

Developer's NDA ends when the iPhone OS 3.2 SDK goes from beta to the release version. That usually doesn't happen until the thing is released to the public. Reviewer's NDAs probably end right before the device is supposed to go on sale.