When does the newest OSX become included with the hardware?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fireball360, Jun 18, 2008.

1. fireball360 macrumors member

Hi, this is sort of a hypothetical question...I'm going to purchase a macbook next year around August. Lets say if Snow Leopard came out in July, would it be included with my macbook when I purchase it in August. So based off of the past OSX releases(10.4, 10.5), When does Apple include the latest OSX with their hardware after releasing it?:confused:
    Thanks for your help in advance,
    fireball360

2. David G. macrumors 65816

After it is released Apple stops putting the old os on there and starts doing it with the new ones. However, even if you do get a computer that has the old os version you will get a DVD with the new one for free.

3. fireball360 thread starter macrumors member

how is that? If I bought a mac with 10.5, I would get 10.6 for free?

4. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

After 10.6 comes out, Apple puts the new OS disks in the box for free. The first time you start up your computer, it might have 10.5, then you put the 10.6 discs in and install it and you're all ready to go.

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Once 10.6 is released it will either come preinstalled on your Mac or it will be included as a installation disc in the box even if the machine has 10.5 installed.

There is usually a limited grace period that Apple allows for those who recently bought new Macs (or just OS X 10.5) to upgrade to the new OS for a low fee. For Tiger to Leopard it was $9.95 for those within the grace period as I recall.

6. fireball360 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, but it sounded to me like that guy said that if I bought a mac that had 10.5 disk, apple would send me a 10.6 disk for free. Thais what I was questioning.

7. David G. macrumors 65816

Nope. Comes with it:)

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Dude...

You're buying your computer in a YEAR. No one has any idea if Snow Leopard will be out by then, but if it is, it will certainly be preinstalled or given to you on DVD. Same way they've done it for every new OS release.

9. fireball360 thread starter macrumors member

alright that pretty much answers my question, thanks guys.:)

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

If you buy it from an Apple Store or off the Apple web site, they put a "drop in" dvd of the new OS in the box.

If you get the Mac from another retailer, you have fill out a form and send it to Apple to get the new disc. You only have to pay for the delivery charges.