When does the warranty on an iPhone start..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dj1891, Feb 11, 2017.

1. dj1891 macrumors regular

dj1891

From the moment you buy or the moment you activate??

I had an argument with someone over this and am curious. I know I bought my son a 6S from a bricks and mortar retailer for Christmas, I bought it in November, his warranty status now says valid until 26 December so it didn't start until he activated it.

Other have said it starts from the moment you purchase it. Whats your thoughts?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

3. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Normally a warranty starts from the date of purchase, but it appears that Apple starts it from the activation. Strange, but they may figure that it was activated at the point of purchase. I activated mine at the Apple store. If you had purchased Apple Care I would bet you the date would have been from the date of purchase.

4. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

Maybe activation started on xmas day because it was a present; don't know if they had different rules for xmas.
    But normally, for the UK and Ireland:
    https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/uk-ireland-universal-warranty.html

5. nickelro macrumors member

Bought & activated mine on December 22, then checked on https://checkcoverage.apple.com/ and it states the warranty ends on December 27, 2017 (so a few extra days in my case).

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It depends on where you buy it, how and via what retailer.
    Many times in the past my warranty would start from the day of purchase.
    So it would ship out of China a week before and would start then and not the day the phone arrived to me and I set it up or activated after it was un-boxed.
    For others depending on where or how it was purchased it started up as soon as they activated the device.
    It does vary.

7. foxconn Suspended

Apple products, from my experience, have been when the device was activated.

8. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

This is the variable that causes frequent confusion and queries about this issue. If the phone isn't purchased directly from Apple, when the warranty begins seems to be dependent upon when and if the seller reports the serial number to Apple, plus Apple's process time.

Whether Apple ever has rejected a claim based upon the purchase date instead of the reported date is unknown to me. Their written terms could be enforced.