When doing a clean install of OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chuchichan, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Chuchichan macrumors 6502

I'm planning to do a clean install of OS X (Mavericks) soon and am preparing my Mac now. I have a couple of questions...

The first is, after I setup Mavericks, what is the best way to handle my music folder with iTunes? Currently, my wife and I each have our own profiles and our own Apple IDs. I have all music saved in a folder that we both have access to. I've then changed in iTunes on each profile, the location of the music folder.

I also have a question about how I should backup our iphones prior to installing Mavericks? Should I back them up to iCloud? What file(s) should I export so I can keep the current playlists, podcasts, etc, in iTunes?

Thanks in advance.

2. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

so you have one mac and the music is stored on the local drive? and you have separate users?

do you plan to keep it that way after the update?

once you plug in your iPhone, it should automatically create a backup. depending on the amount of free space you have used up in iCloud, creating a backup there, should be ok.

if you have a time machine backup, that should help you to restore data effortlessly.

3. sprezz macrumors regular

sprezz

your iTunes folder can just be copied from your old machine, or backup drive (even time machine folder) and put in to the appropriate place in your newly set up Mavericks installation.

just did this a few days ago, worked like a charm, all my playlists and folders were back to where they originally were...

surely you'll find a good quick tutorial on apples support site about this.

4. Chuchichan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies. I was just wondering if the way I am currently sharing the music folder is the best, or if there is a better way that makes more sense.

I am currently sharing all the music in a folder on the hard drive of the Mac and there are two users on it accessing it...thanks...