when getting a new mac: transfering into from old mac to new

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macswitcha2, Oct 10, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

when setting up a new mac it gives the option to transfer from another mac, Do you recommend this? Can this be done after set up?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yup and Yup.

If you don't want to do it initially you can just use Migration Assistant at any time. Just do a spotlight search for it or go to applications->Utilities-> Migration assistant.

Works pretty damn well in most cases.

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Nope.

Clean installs are always the best way forward, as it means you have no legacy problems (permission issues, whatever) or unwanted system files brought over from the old system. It's a pain, but manually copying over data is the best way forward. I use MobileMe's sync tools to speed up things like bookmarks etc. though.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Sorry, but that's just unnecessary. Migration Assistant is the right way to go 99% of the time. In fact, I would always start with Migration Assistant and only go with a manual transfer if there were problems.

I really don't get this attitude on the boards, btw, that clean installs are always the way to go. In my mind, they are always a last resort. I've done migrations 100's of times, and maybe had problems 2-3 times, except of course when there was a hardware failure.

jW

5. Corruptitudes macrumors regular

Sorry to bring this thread up..

But Im having some problems with Migration Assistant. I had an 24" Imac. I was using time machine to back it up on a 500gb time capsule. Currently the TC is sitting on a file that is 422 gigs...

My new 27" Imac wont transfer files over from this file. If I try migration assistant in SL, then it will just either hang on connecting, or say something about making sure this file isnt mounted somewhere else on the network. I have tried putting in the SL disk, and tried using restore from backup on the disk but when it connects to the time capsule, I get an error message stating no backups were found. Yet there is a 422 gig sparsebundle sitting on it...

Any ideas?

6. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Do it right away, using Setup Assistant. It does an easier, more thorough job than Migration Assistant. Setup Assistant is what comes up automatically when you connect a new Mac.

7. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816